Update: 5 weeks post op

Surgery was 6/30/2014 and I am 5 weeks post op. Today was the first day in almost a year that I didn’t take a single medication. Although I was tired this afternoon a cup of coffee perked me right up. My necknis still a little sore at the top of where my stitches were and I’m told I had a set of stitches under the surface and those I actually felt pop apart over the weekend and for a minute freaked out but moved my head and didnt feel that pull at all anymore. The very top set underneath still hasnt disolved which is why its still tight. All the posts ive seen said ice packs for after surgery for pain my doc said heat it increases blood flow in the area. I’ve slept on a heating pad for about a week now and have significant improved the skull tingling pain and my tongue that was once numb is completely back to normal. I am still resting in the afternoon but overall feel better than I have in a year. Carpal tunnel symptoms are back but no headaches no weird pains like prior to the surgery. 6 week follow up is Friday so we shall see how things go.

Just wanted to post some positive feedback that things can get better after surgery too. Praying for all who are going through symptoms currently and those with upcoming surgery dates. If anyone wants to chat or ask questions about post op/pre op anything feel free. I know I had lots of questions before about everything.

P.S. get a travel pillow for the car rides I ended up taking a bunch of stuffing out but it eased the back and forth on my neck alot.

I'm so glad you are doing well! Hopefully you will notice more and more things getting better as time passes! :)

i I am nearly 3 weeks post op I am still taking meds every day and know when they are wearing off, I am feeling ok just incredibly tired all the time did you feel like that? I try and rest as much as I can but dont really want to sleep as would rather have a good nights sleep,alot of my symptoms have improved at the moment just hope they stay like that! good luck and god bless xxx

I did feel like I want to rest a lot and although it was hard I forced myself to go lay down even if I didnt sleep I started watching a new show on netflix and just layed in bed and watched a few episodes some times I fell asleep sometimes I didnt but it gave my neck a chance to rest and heal too.

I have always been a go go go type personso sitting around is like torture. I have gotten used to it and feel 10x better than I have in a year because I did rest.

I had my 6 week check up and meds now reduced to 2 a day (neurotin and baclofen) for this week and next week one a day and then done completely. Still have Norco for pain as need and valium at night but weaning off of those too. I go back to work next Monday 8/18. So far everything is fine with the reduction of meds. I have been walking a bit everyday and feeling better everyday when I get tired I rest.

Just listen to your body if you feel like you want to rest…rest. Everything will be there when you feel better.

P.S. I am a single mom and was lucky enough to have my dad come stay with me for a few weeks but then was on my own. Was so hard to not over do it. Anyone who offered to make a meal or help out take them up on it. I had a few coworkers who made meals and dropped them off and i had to call and say hey im feeling real tired this week any chance you could bring by a meal. That killed me to ask but helped so much in my recovery.