Suggestions for Post-Op Comfort

So I spoke with my new NS today, he is great! Very optimistic, and he even joked with us when it was appropriate. Great guy! Looking forward to having him fix me up. I'll have a date by the end of next week. I will have the surgery right around Thanksgiving, but probably a little after. He is booked up for the next 3 weeks.

I am disappointed that I won't be able to avoid having my dura opened because I am simply too crowded. He also found a syrinx on my cervical spine MRI so that explains even more of my problems.

So we're preparing as best we can. I have a few questions for those of you who have joined the "Zipperhead Club" already:

Where do I get my club t-shirt? :)

What type of pillow do you suggest post-op?

What others things can I do to help with my pain after I'm out of the hospital?

I know this sounds silly...but how will I wash my hair? (My mom think it's hilarious that I keep asking this question.)

Will I want visitors in the hospital? I know it depends on personality type, but how run-down and sick will I be?

Is there anything I should be sure I do before the surgery? Anything particular I should tell the doctor that I will not think about?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

I’m soooo glad you posted this. I’m joining the club in 9 days and I’ve wondered a lot of the same questions. I’m looking forward to the suggestions.

Hello how are you? I'm wondering how or where I can find a T-shirt. Well the only pain I had after surgery was headaches but that was because my sutures was too tight and the only thing that relieve my headaches was Excedrian for migraines. AsI call it the (THE REAL DOPE) didn't even help.I could never find the right pill and I have yet to find one. Make sure your had a rice bag or something that you can warm up/freeze to help with the discomfort and stiffness in your neck and shoulder area. I wish you the best with your surgery!

Very good questions…I would love to know the answer. I too will be joining very soon, right around Thanksgiving! I had wondered about the hair washing too. I thought about getting the dry shampoo, but I haven’t tried it yet. They sell a Suave brand at CVS, someone just told me.

GOOD LUCK, MINDY!!!!! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Good tip, thanks for letting me know. I think that might work, but not sure. Maybe we'll get suggestions from an experienced patient.

*hugs* Best wishes with your surgery, please keep me posted on your recovery!

Mindy said:

I'm soooo glad you posted this. I'm joining the club in 9 days and I've wondered a lot of the same questions. I'm looking forward to the suggestions.

Hi, Tradee30! I'm great! How are you?

I'll let you know when and if I find a t-shirt. :)

Thanks for the feedback! Did you make your own rice bag? What size worked well?

Thanks for your well wishes!

Tradee30 said:

Hello how are you? I'm wondering how or where I can find a T-shirt. Well the only pain I had after surgery was headaches but that was because my sutures was too tight and the only thing that relieve my headaches was Excedrian for migraines. AsI call it the (THE REAL DOPE) didn't even help.I could never find the right pill and I have yet to find one. Make sure your had a rice bag or something that you can warm up/freeze to help with the discomfort and stiffness in your neck and shoulder area. I wish you the best with your surgery!

Nicolee, keep me posted on when your date is! Maybe we'll be inducted at the same time! We could support each other through the recovery! Where is your surgery going to be at?

Keep me posted if you find anything about the hair washing. Maybe someone will be able to help us on here.

Best wishes with your surgery! Please keep me posted about your surgery! I'm praying for you! *HUG*

nicolee said:

Very good questions...I would love to know the answer. I too will be joining very soon, right around Thanksgiving! I had wondered about the hair washing too. I thought about getting the dry shampoo, but I haven't tried it yet. They sell a Suave brand at CVS, someone just told me.

I found T-shirts. Check out cafepress.com or zazzle.com and search Chiari Malformation. lol :slight_smile:

I like them. Bummed I can’t get one here by surgery :frowning:

nicolee said:

I found T-shirts. Check out cafepress.com or zazzle.com and search Chiari Malformation. lol :slight_smile:

Ok First www.cafepress.com for the shirt,

will you feel like visitors in the hospital umm probably not not more then your husband or mother or whoever goes with you to have it done but that choice is yours the first day you are mostly sleeping anyway,

once you are home REST Is the BEST...DO NOT over do anything no bending or picking things up!

as for the pillow after surgery i found that there is one that helped me best it is sold almost everywhere now in the "as seen on tv" spots of the stores for about $20.00 its called the SIDE SLEEPER..there are other places that reccomend other pillows more costly for chiarians but i found this one was of great comfort esp after surgery.

they do sell a spray can shampoo at the drug stores YOU WILL NOT NEED THIS IN THE HOSPITAL, and once you are home and if i remember correctly until the staples are out you can not get your head wet anyway- that depends on your doctor and a good question to ask him, when i was able to wash i remember i needed assistance and i think i had my husband help me wash my hair in the kitchen sink with the sprayer until we got a removeable sprayer for the shower (leaning head back wasnt going to work in the shower leaning a bit forward was easier)

you may want to have a 6 pk of gingerale sitting in your home just incase you are nausated when you get home, that was the only thing that i could drink that even slightly settled my stomach, oh and saltine crackers they help also. And you may want some soft foods like jello,yogurt around as well they are gentle on the stomach... OH and here is also a tip eat yogurt it is good for you esp if it has that live culture stuff in it, it will help ward off thrush

REST REST REST is best when you are up and moving walking will help recovery but dont be walking a marathon ;)

**KEY**UNDERSTAAND when leaving hospital if you have any complications contact your doctor, make sure YOU and Yourhusband or whoever goes with you or is with you at discharge understand what sort of complications may arise and understand what it is you are to do and or whom it is you are to contact!!.

tip those who go with you for surgery will be by far more bored then you will be tell them to bring a book/ their ipod/computer/ or something to keep them entertained. Also supply those ppl with a e-mail list of ppl you want them to msg with an update on how you are doing.

For you: depending on how you are feeling a day or two after surgery you may want to bring something to amuse you as well then you will be glad for it.

I think I answered all the questions others might have other suggestions.

Congrats and good luck

~Lisa