Question About Sleep After Surgery

Hello Everyone,

This question is really directed to anyone whose had the decompression surgery or had close relatives that have had it. My surgery date is nearing closer, and as I'm getting ready for it, I've started wondering, how did people who have had it sleep? Thinking about it, to me it seems like it would be a very difficult task to sleep. So I was just hoping to some suggestions so I can see what ideas I can gather for after the surgery, any import from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again, Megan

HI...

I had to have soft pillow , actually I used 2 pillows and for the 1st few weeks I slept on my side, as for me, it was too painful to lay on my back ,laying on my incision...I had no problems sleeping after I got home from the hospital...b4 surgery , one of my Sx's was insomnia....the surgery help so much with that.

when is your surgery?????

Hello Everyone,

Thank you to Emma and Lori for your responses and I've been trying both suggestions in this time frame before the surgery. As far as I know I will be going in around the 18th of November, so I'm pretty much a month away from the surgery. I'm just wanting some relief and I'm not really nervous at all, I'm just keeping a positive attitude as much as I can, thinking that might help me get through it better. I have to go in for pre-operative testing I believe on the 6th of November, so my surgery date will be set in stone after that. But as far as I know thats what I've been told around the 18th or 19th of November.

Again thank you for the suggestions and I will try them out. I will keep you updated on my actual surgery date. Hope you all are doing well. I'll talk to everyone soon.

Megan

While in the ICU, ask for a hemroid pillow. These things are soft enough (you'll be really high, so you won't really notice the plastic) and they have many holes. The reason for wanting the holes is that you can lay whatever side of your head has the staples on the holes. That way you won't be trying to sleep on sharp painful pieces of metal. (For those who are wondering, the staples are there from the device that holds your head still while they get into the base of your skull. Two of them, one on either side of the head, about an inch behind the temples.)

Once home I used neck pillows to sleep, two actually. Lay one on the other, making a stacked circle.. Again there are big open spots to lay your head on w/o sleeping on fresh scars. For me sleep was the biggest issue. If you can get decent rest,everything else is easier.

Good luck on the surgery. The recovery is really not that bad, just a stiff neck and a slight headache. Hell - I disconnected myself from the machines and IVs and staggered out to smoke a cigarette 12 hours after surgery. It's really not that debilitating. You'll be fine as long as you keep a strong will and positive attitude.

Megan,

Everybody is giving great advise. I would make sure you have a few pillows for the drive home and when you go to get your staples out about a week later. Good luck you are going to do great.

Wendy

I have been sleeping on my side.