POST SURGRY supplys

Hi, I finally got scheduled for my decompression surgery and was looking for advice on any suggestions of things that you found helpful to have on hand at home and hospital stay to help out?

My surgery is Sept 2nd and I have been asking this question as well. People have recommended a memory foam neck pillow, a recliner to sleep in as you might find it hard to lay flat. Ice packs ( the gel ones) for the incision site. Button down pjs for the hospital. Flexi straws as it will be hard to bend your neck to drink.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the feed back, I've not heard from anyone.You were very helpful.I wish you the best for your upcoming surgery. You will be in my thoughts, let me know how you are doing
marycat4 said:

My surgery is Sept 2nd and I have been asking this question as well. People have recommended a memory foam neck pillow, a recliner to sleep in as you might find it hard to lay flat. Ice packs ( the gel ones) for the incision site. Button down pjs for the hospital. Flexi straws as it will be hard to bend your neck to drink.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Dance mom,
I’m sorry you hadn’t heard from anyone. It has been a little slower because of Summer. It’s good marykate had tips you feel are helpful. When is your coming surgery? We will be sure to check-in with you. Best of wishes.
Hugs,
Laurie

Dance mom

I will be praying for you! I had my surgery about a year ago and I would recommend the following

1. A soft travel pillow
  2. Lotion–the meds made me itch so bad and having your own lotion to use is much better
  3. Notebook and pen for family-tell them to write everything down the doctors say so when you go home you can look back
  4. Heating pad (my body was sore from laying down so much)
  5. Ice packs that you can tolerate on you-I had the gel ones and they are amazing
  6. Peppermints or peppermint oil it helped with nausea
  7. I used a scarf around my head because at times even the air bothered it

If you have any other questions let me know! Please make sure you rest and don’t try to over do it! I did and it set me back weeks!

All of the above and a handy bucket for the vomiting. Take it easy afterwards. After 2 weeks I was out filling up food cupboards for Xmas and back at work after 2 months.
Which in hindsight has been a very big mistake. Now 18 months on I’m struggling. So rest and take as much time of work as possible. Have good friends and family around u, their support is so valuable.

Thank you!

Jnd said:

Dance mom

I will be praying for you! I had my surgery about a year ago and I would recommend the following

1. A soft travel pillow
2. Lotion--the meds made me itch so bad and having your own lotion to use is much better
3. Notebook and pen for family-tell them to write everything down the doctors say so when you go home you can look back
4. Heating pad (my body was sore from laying down so much)
5. Ice packs that you can tolerate on you-I had the gel ones and they are amazing
6. Peppermints or peppermint oil it helped with nausea
7. I used a scarf around my head because at times even the air bothered it

If you have any other questions let me know! Please make sure you rest and don't try to over do it! I did and it set me back weeks!

Thank you
allison said:

All of the above and a handy bucket for the vomiting. Take it easy afterwards. After 2 weeks I was out filling up food cupboards for Xmas and back at work after 2 months.
Which in hindsight has been a very big mistake. Now 18 months on I'm struggling. So rest and take as much time of work as possible. Have good friends and family around u, their support is so valuable.