Tips and tricks that worked for me

It seems like there are a lot of people with the decompression surgery coming up. I thought that I would throw out there the things that worked for me. Obviously do what your MD wants first, but these things helped me and would have loved to know going into it. The fear of the unknown is half of the battle. For a little background, I had the decompression surgery including a craniectomy, laminectomy and duraplasty August 7. Preop I had an 8mm herniation and severe blockage of my CSF, I did get a small leak just after 2 weeks postop that resolved on its own with bedrest.

1. Make sure to take one of your own pillows to the hospital. I found that a pillow that was a little bit fluffy but also had support was the best. I invested in a good pillow and it made a world of difference. Make sure that you have a pillow protector and I also got some dark pillowcases. I did end up getting some drainage on the pillowcase, and was happy I had the protector so it didn't go through all the way to my pillow. Also it helps to sleep elevated. I got a couple of wedge pillows and used those once I got home. A comfy blanket from home is nice, hospital linens are definitely not something to write home about!

2. It is really nice to come home to a clean house! I am no where near a neat freak, but I spent the week before doing a deep clean of my house. I know with the symptoms that we experience that doesn't feel possible, but it at least took my mind off of everything that was going on. ACCEPT HELP! I learned that my friends and family felt helpless and wanted to be able to do something and when I allowed them, it also helped them to feel better.

3. Freeze meals to have ready for when you get home. I am single, so it is just me. When I came back to my house I was still unable to drive (my driving restrictions were lifted 3 weeks post op). I had a whole bunch of soups and things that I knew I would eat. That way it was one less thing that I had to ask somebody for.

4. The first 2 weeks are rough...but it was still not as bad as I expected. My surgeon told me "recovery doesn't really start until after the first 2 weeks." Is it painful, yes. However, don't hesitate to call your surgeon if the meds you are on are not working. Like I said, I expected it to be worse. I know that this is not the case for everybody, but I am one of the success stories and had IMMEDIATE relief of my symptoms (when I first woke up the first words out of my mouth were "I didn't die". The next ones were "I feel like me again"). Now, you trade it off for a different kind of pain, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Once I hit the 3 week mark or so, I did see myself improving. It is slow and steady at that point. The only thing that I can compare it to is having a baby (which I have not). Those weeks are a blur now and well worth it because it paid off in the end.

5. TAKE IT EASY! I learned this the hard way. You will get tired very very easily. Increase your activity incredibly slow. Most of the time you don't realize you did too much until it is already over! Your body is going to need tons of rest in order to heal. I will be 8 weeks out tomorrow and started back to work last week and only did 3 shifts that were 4 hours long. I have been off for 7 months. I basically slept a day and a half after the first one!

6. Move your neck as soon and often as possible. Gentle range of motion helps it from becoming too stiff (obviously make sure that this is ok with your surgeon). Then the nurse in me will remind you to get out of bed to the chair as soon as you can too.

7. Ice packs were very helpful. I put them on my neck and head. The gel ones (that you can get at any pharmacy pretty cheap) worked the best because you can mold them and they were soft.

8. Get some baby shampoo. My surgeon had me using it for about 4 weeks until the incision was healed. Shockingly, it works well and smells good :)

9. If you have an iphone/smartphone, I downloaded the app called dose organizer. I was on a lot of meds on an every 3 hour schedule when I came home. It was nice because you could make it alarm, confirm you took it, take pictures of the meds and see a history of what you took when. For the first week or so, I would set it to wake me up, that way I didn't wake up in extreme pain and kept it under control. It is so much easier to keep pain under control than it is for it to get crazy and try to play catch up.

10. Muscle relaxers are your friend!

11. Finally (well, I will probably add to this as I think of it), don't deny your fears and concerns. This is clearly a big surgery and I know that I was terrified going into it, but excited at the same time. Most of us try to protect those closest to us about what we are worried about. I promise though that they are worried too. Find someone you can talk to or get on here for support. Try to keep as positive of an attitude as possible. Don't get me wrong, I still have my moments, but I believe 100% that your attitude does impact your recovery.

I hope I am not coming off as a 'know it all'...because I don't! Some things may work for some people and some not. Be patient with yourself and remind yourself that you can do this!! I will be thinking of you all and I hope and pray that you find some relief!

Great list Jen.... You are a great addition to this forum. So nice to have someone contributing that has medical experience along with Chiari. That's the beauty of the site. We all bring something unique.....Thank you so much.

Jenn,

This is great. Thanks for sharing. The only thing I can think to add is ear plugs. I had a hard time with all the noise. Luckily, I worked in the ICU and a friend brought me a pair. They were and still are a life saver.

Nicole

Thanks for the tips! Keep them coming because I need all the help I can get!

I've been trying to deep clean this week and it's killing me! Next week perhaps I'll work on the freezer meals!

A friend of mine told me (she did a rotation in plastic surgery) to keep sunscreen on the incision at all times when outdoors. If it gets sunburned once, it can stay red and may not fade.

The shower chair is a great idea! I bathed for the first 2 weeks because I couldn't stand in the shower. If you have a handheld (detachable sprayer) that is great too.

I made sure that I had plenty of soup, yogurt,pudding etc in case my throat was hurting. I was thankful for the cold yogurt and pudding!

Ice packs- you can make your own cold rice packs. I had made several prior to surgery. Someone on this site had told me that you can make them easily out of a sock and plain white rice. I made some with leftover flannel fabric. I made big ones and small ones. Love them!!! You can heat them too :)

Oh and if you don't have the Iphone app mentioned above...it may be a good idea for someone to give you your pills. Thank god for my mom and sister coming by. I kept taking the wrong ones at the wrong times!

Thank you, my surgery is the 23rd and am staring to have so many questions!! Just 2 for now.....

Any of you ladies just shave your head before the surgery?? lol
How long should my husband plan on staying home with me from work?

I didn't shave my head. but I did get my hair cut into a cute bob that was shorter in the back and loger in the front. It didn't take long for it to grow back in and it blended well. From my personal experience, the first two weeks were the worst for me. It depends, I guess on the person. My mother stayed over night, got my pills in me etc before leaving for work, then my sister came at 1030 till 2, then my mom came back at 5. I made sure I went to the bathroom when they were here because I had an awful time walking post op. I was very unsteady and I needed help walking to the bathroom. Good Luck on your surgery and I hope this helps :)
gama4xs said:

Thank you, my surgery is the 23rd and am staring to have so many questions!! Just 2 for now.....

My hair is chin length so I may look at getting it shorter in the back. My thoughts are on not being able to wash it. Thanks for your help!

nicole said:

I didn't shave my head. but I did get my hair cut into a cute bob that was shorter in the back and loger in the front. It didn't take long for it to grow back in and it blended well. From my personal experience, the first two weeks were the worst for me. It depends, I guess on the person. My mother stayed over night, got my pills in me etc before leaving for work, then my sister came at 1030 till 2, then my mom came back at 5. I made sure I went to the bathroom when they were here because I had an awful time walking post op. I was very unsteady and I needed help walking to the bathroom. Good Luck on your surgery and I hope this helps :)
gama4xs said:

Thanks, my husband has to go out of town 2 weeks after I come home and I didn't know if I should have somebody come stay, our closest family is 10 hrs away. My daughter is flying in for the surgery but will leave a day or 2 after I come home.

gama4xs said:

My hair is chin length so I may look at getting it shorter in the back. My thoughts are on not being able to wash it. Thanks for your help!

nicole said:

gama4xs said:

Awesome advice! Please, keep these posts coming....my surgery is in 11 days, on the 15th and I am feverishly trying to prepare and get ready at home, plus take care of the things I will need while out of town for surgery.

Would love to hear more hints and advice...

Any recommendations for specific pillows? I know it's a somewhat individual thing but I'm just overwhelmed by all the types of pillows available! lol

My surgery is on 10/23, and these "tips and tricks" are exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!

Thank you for all the info… my surgery is this coming Wednesday, do you mind me asking how long your hospital stay was, they told me the first 24 hours are spent in the ICU?

jenn jenn jenn-- this is exactly what i need to read- i am so appreciative you posted this- thank you- and continued luck with your total recovery!

i am thankful for every word on here... these are just the reasons i come here.. thank you for sharing what you have gone through and the 'tricks' to make it as easy as it can be.. amazing thank you!

Thank you so much!! Great tips. Wow. You are all Warriors!!! :slight_smile:

I am a retired RN, I had surgery Aug 28th.....decompression and fixation of C1, and C2.

I totally agree with you....attitude is everything.

I have been doing really well, everyone,including me, is amazed.

But for the last 5 days I have had a slammer of a frontal headache, reminiscent of my pre surgery 10 month long headache.

It scares the hell out of me.

Emailed my surgeon, he said let's wait a week, and if it is not gone, we will get an MRI.

I am wondering if I have been doing too much.