Spinal fluid leaking from dura patch

hi everone.

I am 4 weeks post op and about a week ago i found a large lump next to my incision. went to the ER after an ultra sound they said it was normal fluid. i found found myself in severe pain even worse than before and called my NS. he lookked at my MRI and was pissed because it wasnt normal it was spinal fluid.. so i have to wait 5 days to be off all blood thinners. On wednesday I go back into the hospitol to drain the fluid. I have to lie flat for 5 days with a cathrter in my back. ugh has anyone else had this problem.

Leslie,

I had a CSF Leak from a previous Microvascular Decompression Surgery for Geniculate Neuralgia.My Mastoid Bone was broken and it filled with CSF and actually leaked into my mouth. I also developed Motion sickness for 6-8 months and Chemical Meningitis. I understand your frustration. Mine was not cause by my CM sugeries. I had a Cadavere's Pericardium for a Duraplasty Patch and it has been great. I was hospitalized for several weeks for the meningitis but it was allowed to swell and seal on it's own, but I had to lay flat on my back for quite a while. I know your frustration and disgust. Did your NS not tell you that was a possibility though? I am not trying to sound rude, but just asking. There is really no way no one can tell who will and who won't get a CSF Leak from a CM Surgery. If you would like you can go to the discussion page and in the upper left there is a search box. You can search for every post and discussion ever made on this forum about CSF Leaks or Spinal Fluid Leaks and see they are common. I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I really do understand.

Tracy Z.