Questions about CSF leak post op

Hey everyone it has been 7 weeks since my surgery and about 2 weeks ago I got the flu, go figure 1 week before I was suppose to return to work. 3 days in I had such a bad coughing fit that within the hour I started to get a bad headache and nausea. Now I still have a big pouch of fluid over my surgical site no one has officially told me that I have or had a CSF leak but what else could it be. Now to my question how long does it toke for CSF to reabsorb? My doctor told me to wait and see if it gets worst but how do I know if it better if its the same size. Up to this point I have had no problems post op or with my doctor but I feel like I can't get comfortable when I go to bed because if I roll on it I get a shooting headache.

Hi Elisa,

After my decompression surgery ( with duraplasty), I developed a CSF leak. Mine also was at the surg.. site. I consulted my PCP, and she ordered a brain MRI. The fluid pocket was measured by the Radiologist that read my test, and then I contacted by NS (not in the state I live in) and they requested a copy of the MRI. The NS new immediately that it was a CSF leak.

He suggested that we wait 30 days, and do a follow up brain scan. I did that, and the pocket had grown considerably in size in the 30 days, so he asked that I come to CA so that he could repair the leak.

The leak was repaired, and I started to feel better within one week. I could not figure out why my recovery from the first surgery seemed to be so slow. My slow recovery was attributed to the leak.

When you say "my doctor", do you mean your NS, NL, or Primary? Just wondering, because maybe you can get whoever that is to order an MRI (brain), so the you would be able to get a baseline on the the size of the pouch.

I know what you mean about being uncomfortable when you are in bed. Mine pouch felt like a baseball was under my skin.

At any rate, if it is not your NS you have discussed the situation with, I would certainly do that right away.

Take good care,

Pam

Pam
I meant my NS I had an MRI the 2nd day of pain and 2nd trip to the ER and they said there was no way to tell because the post op recovery tissue they seen the fluid pocket. But my NS said to wait and see. Today it feels like the pocket is smaller but like I said this is going on week 3.
My NS office said they have never had patients have complications this far out. And they have done quite a few of these surgeries every year. So it makes me feel like a problem child. I seen the NS officially for the 1st time in October and the staff knows me and recognizes me when I walk in the office.

Elisa,

Sounds like you are doing everything you can do to monitor the situation. Leaks are more common after decompression surgery than you might think. Most often the leak will resolve on it's own.

I am glad you feel that the pocket is a bit smaller today.

Try to forget about feeling like a problem child. This is your brain; the only one you get! Ask as many questions about your condition as you need to.

Take care