Pocket of fluid on top part of incision 5 weeks post op

Hi, I am 5 weeks post op today. I noticed that I have a squishy pocket of fluid on the top part of my top incision. No drainage. No fever. It doesn't hurt. Maybe an itty bit of pressure but my sinus also has a little bit of drainage right now too. It is about the size of an oreo cookie. I left a msg w/ my NS but did not receive a call back. Has anyone ever delt w/ this. Did it go away on its own?

Bk, it sounds to me like you are describing a CSF leak. It happens, but I don’t believe it should be ignored. Some resolve on their own, but some don’t and require another surgical intervention. I’m glad you are not experiencing a bad headache, but just be cautious of pain and the nose drainage. CSF can leak from the nose and ears, it is clear, thin, non-viscous fluid. I’m glad you called your NS. How are doing overall? How are you feeling?

Jenn

Hi Jenn...kind of what I was worried about :( I do have fluid in my ears too, although nothing draining out, like it is my sinus, just a little plugged. Just curious do you know what causes a CSF leak? And how do they surgically "fix" it?

Overall I am doing really well. Trying really hard not to over do things..now wondering if I somehow did over do and not realize it...Still experiencing dizziness, but some days I wake up and have energy I didn't remember having for over a year. MOST of my symptoms are better or gone. Thanks for asking :)

jcdemar said:

Bk, it sounds to me like you are describing a CSF leak. It happens, but I don't believe it should be ignored. Some resolve on their own, but some don't and require another surgical intervention. I'm glad you are not experiencing a bad headache, but just be cautious of pain and the nose drainage. CSF can leak from the nose and ears, it is clear, thin, non-viscous fluid. I'm glad you called your NS. How are doing overall? How are you feeling?

Jenn

A CSF leak means there is a hole somewhere, probably at the dura patch site. If the NS thinks it needs to be fixed, he will have to get back down to the dura and reattach the dura patch or sew in a new one. I hope this is not the case, but let them know about the fluid. If you have CSF coming out of your nose or ears that could be a conductor for bacteria. I wouldn’t think that you caused it- not unless you’ve banged your head around :), it just happens. The surgeons use very tiny needles to thread the dura into place, but a hole is a hole. Please keep us informed, I’m a little worried. If you don’t hear back soon call again or go to the ER, this has to be addressed. I will say, thought, that if you don’t have a bad headache it’s a good sign- just make sure.

Jenn