Numbness... More meds. Pain....more meds. FRUSTRATED!

Saw my NS last week and told him I was still have numbness after the neck surgery which he placed a mobi c disc and removed a bone spur that was pushing into my spinal nerve. I found out there was also a cyst on my spinal nerve and a small hemangioma in the area to. I was not aware of these when I went in for surgery. The grinding in my neck I had before is gone but the numbness in my right side is worse. I now am experiencing pain in my right shoulder joint and the burning pain I had at the base of my neck had spread out to each shoulder blade and is worse. I am following up in 1 month and have been given an order to have a xray, cervical spine, w/AP and lateral flexion and extension. Not sure exactly what he is looking for now.
At my visit I asked if I could be put on lyrica instead of the two nerontin I was taking at night since they were the same type of meds, because I figured 1 pill a day would be easier and it should last all day. He said no and increased my nerontin to 2 in the am and 2 in the pm and kept me on the Norco for the burning and pain. I’m tired of taking a boat load of meds anyone found certain meds that seem to help with burning nerve pain. I have been using ice packs when it gets really bad. They seem to numb the area for a little while until the pain meds kick in. Any suggestions, home remedies helpers, exercises or med info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!!
Amber :slight_smile:

Amberlea, I would feel better if you got a second opinion regarding the hemangioma on the spinal nerve, as sometimes hemagioma is a misdiagnosis for more serious vascular anomalies, such as arteriovenous malformations (avms), which could be responsible for pain and numbness. I hope you get answers soon, and that the pain and numbness subside.

No EDS that I know of. My NS acted as if the cyst and hemangioma was nothing to worry about. I really like my NS but I feel as if he is looking at the small things to fix but not looking at what has caused them. I was told by the pain mngmt doc that did my spinal injection (that shouldn’t have been done on a chiari patient) that PT wouldn’t help me, just the injections. That was the worst procedure I ever had. I was down for a week after. My back was worse and I broke out in blister like hives. I am allergic to steroids, which she knew but she said these were different than oral steroids. Her solution was to have another injection because the ins covered 2 more.
My NS told me that he could send me for PT and see if that helps. I asked about doing yoga or other excercises at home because I have to pay $50 each time I walk in for a PT visit. My husband bought me a yoga mat and DVD so we shall see how that goes. I see my NS in two weeks to see what the new neck X-ray shows.