My sugery has been scheduled

My surgery has been scheduled for January 3. Nothing like the first surgery of the New Year after your neurosurgeon has been on Christmas break!!! :) I will be at University Hospital in Cincinnati, OH - no ICU just neuro floor - and possibly released the next afternoon if not then the following day. The surgery from time I'm taken back to until I'm taken to my room will be 3 hours (about an 1 hour will be prep). It is strange, but the breathing tube scares me more than the cutting into my skull - so I'm thrilled I'll be asleep when they do it.

My principal has been great. I was very worried about how to tell 10 and 11 year olds - she said we didn't have to - we can leave it as surgery of a personal nature. Now, I'm not foolish enough to think it won't get out and I'm totally okay with telling my students all about it when I get back and they see I'm okay. I just couldn't say hey your teacher is having brain surgery - she'll be okay - have a nice holiday - they wouldn't make it past brain surgery - heck many adults I tell can't get past it. I've booked my sub and I'm beginning to work on my sub plans - part of the reason I scheduled my surgery after the beginning of the New Year (I can enjoy the holidays for the most part and get my students to a certain point before letting my sub take over). I sent the letter to my staff, which of course contained humor and optimism - I just can't be upset about this procedure (I'm happy they figured out what was causing my pain as soon as they did) and I can't be woo is me. I told them they can ask me anything and jokes, positive energy, and prayers are definitely welcome.

The worst part was my husband has been out of the country in France for business for the past two weeks. So he asked that I send him an e-mail about the details of the appointment, which I did. They next morning, he text me that he doesn't have access to his e-mail until that night - so when we talked later that day he asked how my day was. My words went something like are you kidding me? Have you read my e-mail and he said I still have been to the hotel to get my e-mails - so I had to tell him on the phone. That was hard - he was upset that I had to tell our family by myself and that I was dealing with this by myself. He of course asked is there anything else they can do and I said Mike you know there isn't. He said I know I just don't want them to cut my wife's head open. But I get to see him tomorrow and he can hold me.

I think I'm creating the to-do list so I can focus on things to get done so I won't worry about it.

I have a blog that I post to sometimes feel free to check it out if you would like:

http://clsm72.blogspot.com/

Here is the website to my N/S: http://www.mayfieldchiaricenter.com/

Carrie,

I'm so glad you finally got a date! I have been praying for you! I will continue praying for you, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I told my students on Friday, a lecture of 105 college students, they didn't get much past the part of brain surgery either. I couldn't agree more though, I am like you, I feel they should know. They have been amazingly supportive since I told them. They gave me a standing ovation when I finished, and many have offered to help in anyway they can. Your students are younger, but children are so resilient. I'm sure that they will rally around you as well. The to-do list is daunting, I have no doubt, but it sounds like you're doing well! That optimism and positive outlook will serve you well, I am sure of it.

It has been a blessing getting to know you on here, and I wish you well! You and your family are in my thoughts!

GOD BLESS! *HUG*

Katrina

Thanks Abby! I really appreciate that! I will be checking out the resources right after this. I love the Internet, because you can talk to people who have been through this. They can prepare you for what will happen. My family and friends are being very supportive, but they don't understand (and I don't want them really know I don't wish this on any of them). It takes a person who has this to understand and someone who has been through this to prepare you for the good, the bad, and the ugly. When did you have your surgery?

Thanks for the hugs!

Carrie:)

Abby said:

Please post to the events, and know we are here for you. You might want to check out the resources section for suggestions of what to take to the hospital and when you get home. If you can't find it let me know, I will get it for you.

God Bless and please keep us posted and let us know if you need anything.

Hugs,

Abby

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

I'm so glad you finally got a date! I have been praying for you! I will continue praying for you, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I told my students on Friday, a lecture of 105 college students, they didn't get much past the part of brain surgery either. I couldn't agree more though, I am like you, I feel they should know. They have been amazingly supportive since I told them. They gave me a standing ovation when I finished, and many have offered to help in anyway they can. Your students are younger, but children are so resilient. I'm sure that they will rally around you as well. The to-do list is daunting, I have no doubt, but it sounds like you're doing well! That optimism and positive outlook will serve you well, I am sure of it.

It has been a blessing getting to know you on here, and I wish you well! You and your family are in my thoughts!

GOD BLESS! *HUG*

Katrina

Katrina,

You are amazing! You are less than a week from S day and thinking of others! I said it before and I'll say it again! You are a spectaluar person! I have your blog on my phone, so I can updates immediately! It has been great getting to know you on here as well. I'm sending you positive energy, prayers, and hugs! Your surgery is 11/23 at 2:30 correct?

Your students sound fabulous and I can't imagine anything less. They are getting a different kind of lesson with your surgery. :)

Take care,

Carrie :)

I don't like to be a Debbie Downer, but I do want you to not put your expectations too high. Your doctor sounds very optimistic, which is great, but 3 hours start to finish sounds very quick. And going home the next day? Wow. I hope that you don't rush into going home too soon and that he sends you home with plenty of pain relievers and instructions on what you need to do at home to take care of yourself. Again, I don't want to be pessimistic, but I've seen a lot of people over the years that were disappointed with how long it took them to recover from the surgery and how long they stayed in the hospital. Please keep thinking positive and I will be praying for you! I hope that your surgeon is 100% right about his predictions!

Love,

Carla