The Date!

Hi,

I am Kirstie, and today I got my surgery date!! I am 13, after the date was created I went home and cried and cried. My throat hurts from so much crying. I am only scared about when they cut me open. I have seen so many movies about surgery gone wrong, and I need some help!!

Sincerely,

Kirstie

It is normal to feel this way. Do not be afraid, they will give you medicine to relax you before your surgery, and you will be asleep before they do anything to you. Talk to your surgeon about your specific fears. We will keep you in our prayers.

It will be okay! I know it is scary. My 5 year old son has surgery scheduled for the 5th of December. We are nervous but I know that the doctor is wonderful and he is in good hands. It will be ok. Please talk to us anytime.

Kirstie,

Remember that those are just movies! Your surgeon knows what he is doing I am sure. Your parents would not let someone cut you open if they were not an experienced surgeon. They used to have to make a huge incision, but they have come such a long way now. Even in the three years since my surgery, they have perfected the procedure. Try not to worry and think positive about how much this surgery may help you get rid of some of your symptoms and keep your chiari from progressing. It's a scary thing, I'm not going to lie, but you sound like a strong person! It is okay to cry, too, it may help you get some of those feelings out so that you can be calm on surgery day. When is it scheduled? I will keep you in my prayers, honey!

Carla

Hey Kirstie! I was 15 when I had my decompression surgery in 2003. All I was worried about was the fact that my hair was getting cut (silly I know). At that time I didn't fully understand what was going on and what I was going through. It is scary! The best thing you can do is ask your doctor anything that you can think of. Anything that scares you about it, write it down and mention it to the doctor. It may help. We are all here for you:) You will do great!

-Alicia

Kirstie!

Honey, you're only human and normal....it's ok to be scared. It would be weird for this not to be emotional. It's important that you focus on the positive in the situation. Just think...soon your symptoms will be gone! The surgery can help you with so many things! Don't worry about what you've seen on TV and in the movies.....if you don't trust your neurosurgeon, keep looking until you find one that you are comfortable with and trust!

I am having surgery on this coming Wednesday, November 23. I am nervous and scared too...but I trust my surgeon, and I know that my relationship with God and my loving family and friends will help me through it! We are all here for you.

HANG IN THERE!!!!!! I'm sending my best wishes and prayers your way! Let me know what i can do to help!

Katrina

My surgery is December 6. I am so scared.

Don't worry Kirstie, you are young and you will heal quickly and bounce back. We are all here to support you. You are amazing and strong and you will be alright.

Its normal to be scared, everyone has fear. You are a strong, powerful woman and when your surgery is over you will be 10 times stronger.

Hang in there love. <3

Thank you so much!!

Everyone here had made me think. Maybe there is nothing to be afraid of.

Kirstie

NieNie0326 said:

Don’t worry Kirstie, you are young and you will heal quickly and bounce back. We are all here to support you. You are amazing and strong and you will be alright.

Its normal to be scared, everyone has fear. You are a strong, powerful woman and when your surgery is over you will be 10 times stronger.

Hang in there love. <3

You are welcome hun.

I, well being me, I was not scared before my surgery, I was excited. I am weird I know. I just knew and believed, truly believed, that this surgery was going to change my life, make me better and make me a normal person again. and it did! All of my symptoms were gone when I woke up in recovery. I woke up in recovery, 2 hours after they finished the surgery, and I knew right away I was better. And even though I was on medication for the pain and everything, I felt amazing. About 7 hours after surgery, I actually stood up and turned around to change beds and I didn't fall over! I was so happy I was laughing and crying and just being a spazzy me because I was back to being me!!

Wooo!!!! If you are unsure of anything, just call your surgeon's office and ask questions, the secretary at my surgeon's office was amazing, she was so compassionate and caring. She had a calming affect on me over the phone and in person, as did my Neurosurgeon and his team that were working on me.

Believe this will fix you and change your life and it will! <3

Trust me i kno how u feel. I’m 14 and I probably will hve those thoughts wen I get my surgery date but I kno evrythin will b alright. But remembr how gud u’ll feel afta the surgery is dne. Wat evr hppns I give u the best of luck.

hey kirstie,

happy you got a date. in my opinion , your feelings are normal..i wasn't afraid of the surgery myself..i think, looking back it was b/c my NS explain everything, and i mean everything he was going to do...and he also went on to tell me that from a NS's stand point...it is a technically simple proceedure...he told me it was the recovery that can be long and painful to some extent.

then..i happened to watch the operation on youtube....it was being taped live and the NS was being asked questions as he went along doing the operation.....i am so glad i watched it til the very end..guess what?? The surgeon said the exact same thing my NS said regarding the degree of difficulty a decompression is for a NS....he said it was not a complicated operation for any good NS....that made me feel a lot better..hearing it from 2 NS's.

I hope this helps puts you a bit at ease.

you are in my thoughts and prayers...pls know we are all here for you. oh, gotta tell you 1 more thing..my niece Meg had hers done a little over 1 mth ago...she is already driving and going here and there...in 2 weeks she hopes to go back to work...she is young ,23, and they found her chiari and srynix by accident, really...she is an MRI tech and she volunteered to check out the new MRI machine her hospital had just purchased...they found a very large syrinx and chiari....she was treated quickly and is doing awesome.

i am happy you are here...you need a place to go ..where people totally 'get it'...so, with that..i will stop this extra long reply.....try and relax....and keep posting here..we truly care.

peace,

lori

Thank you so much Lori that helps me alot. I mean i know already what they do. I feel comformable about my NS. I feel like the operation will be successful. It is just nice to know that for a good NS it is a simple procedure.

Hi
my name is Kirstie. I wanted to know why you haven’t gotten surgery? Tell me your whole story with chair malformation. I am about to turn 13. My date is December 6 2011. My birthday is December 16. I am just afraid i won’t live through the operation. I am afraid I won’t make it to age 13. :frowning: I am trying to tell my self that all my pain will go away. But i don’t think it is working.

Marley Moore said:

Trust me i kno how u feel. I’m 14 and I probably will hve those thoughts wen I get my surgery date but I kno evrythin will b alright. But remembr how gud u’ll feel afta the surgery is dne. Wat evr hppns I give u the best of luck.

My parents wnt 2 hve it in the summr 4 recvry time. I went to the doctors office in October for yearly physical, told the doctor Tht i was hvin headaches. She ordered a MRI and CT scan, I think the next day or so i think. Did the CT scan and MRI got called in the very next day, she sent me 2 the neurosurgen tht I picked. He saw my MRI and CT screens and sent me to do more MRI scans, did the contrast MRI and then the MRI place called me in again so I went. Then the nxt day me and my mom went to the doctors office and he said I hve the option to hve surgery. He told me 2 go hme and think bout it. But i knew I wanted to hve it. My parents decided for me to hve it in the summr cuz i wud miss my 9th grade year. So Thts my whole story. I’m about to b 15 on Dec. 13. Ur gonna b in gud hands, ur family and the doctor will mke sure tht ur in gud hands.

Wow
that sounds like what happend to me. I went to get an MRI for a disk issue. But they found a syringe and malformation.
That is weird. Send me a friend request. If you want to talk more.
Kirstie
Marley Moore said:

My parents wnt 2 hve it in the summr 4 recvry time. I went to the doctors office in October for yearly physical, told the doctor Tht i was hvin headaches. She ordered a MRI and CT scan, I think the next day or so i think. Did the CT scan and MRI got called in the very next day, she sent me 2 the neurosurgen tht I picMRIked. He saw my MRI and CT screens and sent me to do more MRI scans, did the contrast MRI and then the MRI place called me in again so I went. Then the nxt day me and my mom went to the doctors office and he said I hve the option to hve surgery. He told me 2 go hme and think bout it. But i knew I wanted to hve it. My parents decided for me to hve it in the summr cuz i wud miss my 9th grade year. So Thts my whole story. I’m about to b 15 on Dec. 13. Ur gonna b in gud hands, ur family and the doctor will mke sure tht ur in gud hands.

Kirstie

We always fear the unknown so it's o.k. to be a little scared when having surgery, but remember nothing is ever as bad as we can imagine it to be. Having the surgery for me was not a bad experience. I'm getting older now, but even as as little girl, when I was a little scared of something, to get my mind off of it, I would plan parties in my head or think about something I'd experienced that really made me happy. I did that before I went in for my surgery. I think that could work for you too. Also, on the day of my surgery, I asked the doctor to put me to sleep before I went into the operating room so I never saw the operating room. From the time they put me to sleep until I woke up from the surgery I don't remember anything bad.When I woke up in a room the next morning. I remember feeling very good; for the first time in a very long time nothing hurt; that was the greatest feeling. For me the surgery and recovery wasn't a bad experience. I'm over a year past the surgery now and the best part is that I'm not dizzy, I don't have headaches, and I don't get the fuzzy confused feeling in my head that I used to have. When I was a young girl I couldn't turn cartwheels or ride circus rides because they would make me dizzy; I think I could do both of those things now. Don't be afraid of the surgery itself; they will put you to sleep into la la land and, if like me you don't want to see where the surgery is going to take place, perhaps your doctor will put you to sleep before you go in there. Try not to think about the details of the surgery itself, just think about how good you will feel when it is over. I know you must feel like it will never be over but before you know it, it will be and you will feel so much better and be up and about having fun with your friends. Good luck to you.

Hugs

Shirley

Is dr. Bollo a neurosurgeon? From where is he?

Hi.

He is actually in Houston… Texas children’s hospital. That is where i a haveing my surgery.

I think he does work in Florida. Sometimes

Thank you for responding to my question

Kirstie

razzle51 said:

he is in Florida I think .

and you will do fine . dont worry be happyh

Thank you!! I feel so much better.

For some reason i keep getting more fear as it gets closer to the date.

Kirstie

Shirley C. said:

Kirstie

We always fear the unknown so it’s o.k. to be a little scared when having surgery, but remember nothing is ever as bad as we can imagine it to be. Having the surgery for me was not a bad experience. I’m getting older now, but even as as little girl, when I was a little scared of something, to get my mind off of it, I would plan parties in my head or think about something I’d experienced that really made me happy. I did that before I went in for my surgery. I think that could work for you too. Also, on the day of my surgery, I asked the doctor to put me to sleep before I went into the operating room so I never saw the operating room. From the time they put me to sleep until I woke up from the surgery I don’t remember anything bad.When I woke up in a room the next morning. I remember feeling very good; for the first time in a very long time nothing hurt; that was the greatest feeling. For me the surgery and recovery wasn’t a bad experience. I’m over a year past the surgery now and the best part is that I’m not dizzy, I don’t have headaches, and I don’t get the fuzzy confused feeling in my head that I used to have. When I was a young girl I couldn’t turn cartwheels or ride circus rides because they would make me dizzy; I think I could do both of those things now. Don’t be afraid of the surgery itself; they will put you to sleep into la la land and, if like me you don’t want to see where the surgery is going to take place, perhaps your doctor will put you to sleep before you go in there. Try not to think about the details of the surgery itself, just think about how good you will feel when it is over. I know you must feel like it will never be over but before you know it, it will be and you will feel so much better and be up and about having fun with your friends. Good luck to you.

Hugs

Shirley