Surgery All Booked - 4 weeks to go - Wish I could change my mind

After much deep thought and lots of mind changing I have booked my decompression surgery for Jan 28th. I am so scared, I know it is normal to feel that way. I trust my surgeon and my husband and family are extremely supportive. I know it is going to be hard work recovering especially with 2 children and a puppy at home, but I am really hoping that I have made the right decision.

I read a lot of horror stories where things have gone wrong and symptoms were not relieved, but everyone keeps assuring me that I will be fine and that patients with a happy ending don't tend to share. So I am hoping that some of you can share some happy endings with me to try and relieve my anxieties.

I have never had surgery before, hoped I never would and I really do not know what to expect. It feels as though my lifelong nightmare is coming true.

Welcome to your new family here where we will all offer you a shoulder to lean on to cry on if you need to; you can yell and scream here. You will also find that we are you family of advice, resources, comfort, support, prayer, and just about anything that you may need along this journey that you are beginning. I know that it is scary and we all are there or have been where you know are. I just had my decompression surgery on 03/12/12 and I am a single mom of 6 with two cats and my partner left me in 10/12. So, I can understand sweetie that you have a lot of questions and a lot of doubt. You have to ask yourself, Do you trust your doctor? do you believe that this is best thing for you? does your husband support you? He should also join the site so that he can learn as we go through this together with you.

here is my number you are more than welcome to text or call me anytime you need to talk, yell, scream, or cry....just don't scream too loud i still have bad migraines LOL

206-■■■■■■■■

Hugs & kisses

Destini

Thank You Destini!

I absolutely trust the surgeon, he has a lot of experience with Chiari. I do believe it is the best thing for me - I know it will help. And my husband is so very supportive, I could not do this without him.

Thank you for the offer of talking, I will keep that in mind. I'm sure I will be going through lots of different feelings during the next 4 weeks....and then more after the fact.

I'm off to see the Nurse Practitioner shortly to go over pre/post op instructions and for a tour of the hospital, hopefully it will clam me a little bit.

Helen

Helen...

Welcome to the site....let us know how things went today.

As long as you trust your NS and feel in your gut this is the right move for you, to have the surgery..you made the right decision, just my 2 cents!

Natural to be scared and anxious...we are here for ya!!!!

Take Care,

Lori

I totally agree with Destini. All Chiarians have different experiences and symptoms and post surgical results. We will be here for you every step of the way. I know you are worried & scared. We all understand those emotions. Please keep posting and asking us any questions and feel free to vent when you need to. We truly understand. Do not read my profile and think because of my difficult Journey that you will also have these problems arise. I was diagnosed in an emergency situation. My Chiari had progressed to far. We have several Members that have had positive surgical experiences. You have a great NS and family. You have to believe in the times of doubt you have made the right decision for you. Do not even consider anyone's bad stories. We honestly have a different story for ever Chiarian I have ever met. You need to focus on starting your new life. We are just a post or call away. You are not & will not be alone. We also have some great tips about what to take with you to the hospital & post surgical tips. Just never think you are alone.....This forum is incredible. Please let us know when you need anything.

Tracy Z.

Hi! I was convinced I would never have the surgery, I was way too scared and I also had read many of the “horror stories.” I agree with Tracy Z that everyone’s recovery is different, but if I can give you some encouragement…

My symptoms got bad enough in 2012 that I felt I had to give surgery a try. My surgery was on 12/13, less than 3 weeks ago. I feel pretty darn amazing and honestly feel ready to go back to work but no one will let me. :slight_smile: So it’s a couple more weeks of watching Lifetime movies.

Yes, it will take months, perhaps a year to see how the surgery has truly relieved my symptoms, but I already can notice a few differences. So happy I did this, and hope you will be too! If you have any questions, feel free to message me!

I'm 11 weeks post-op. The surgery was much easier for me than I anticipated. I have been back at work for 5 weeks now and just started back doing some work-outs. My energy levels are better and my pain is less. My NS says it can take a year or more to see full effects of the surgery but so far I don't have regrets.

Thank you all! It's great to hear some success stories.

Sparkyschick & Anglyn, I hope you both continue to recover well, and it is so great to hear that you are back at work after 6 weeks Anglyn. One of my main concerns is the loss of a wage while I recover. Disability doesn't even come close to paying what I need. I have the advantage that I can do my job from home, so I'm hoping I will be able to gradually build back up to full time hours from home before venturing into the office.

TracyZ - I have been reading everyone's tips on what to take to the hospital etc, it is a real help.

Lori - the Nurse Practitioner gave me lots of great information, I have to admit I almost burst in to tears in her office - it all seems so real now!

I know I am going to go through so many emotions over the next few weeks, it will be tough, but from the success stories I read, it sounds like it will be worth it.

Thanks,

Helen