Update - Surgery Scheduled!

Sorry for the lag in my update. My week was a whirl wind. I got my surgery date, and am now preparing to wrap up my graduate school courses for the quarter so I can receive my grades for this quarter.

My operation with be on November 22 at 2PM, time subject to change, at Riverside Methodist Hospital in Columbus, OH.

I am grateful it is able to be so soon...but I am bummed that I will spend Thanksgiving and my 23rd Birthday (my bday is 11/25) in the hospital. But my family has promised we will have a family Thanksgiving in the hospital and they will make my birthday special. I am so blessed to have an amazing support system!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR ADVICE AND SUPPORT!!

What were your surgery recoveries like? Any tips for success?

I promise to keep you all updated through my recovery. If you want, you may following my CaringBridge website that I have created for my friends and family to follow. The link is: www.caringbridge.org/visit/katrinaswinehart. My parents or boyfriend will author it when I am not able.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice or tips you can provide. Additionally for your prayers and support during this time!

This group is amazing!!!!!

I just looked at your blog. I live in Ohio (near Cincinnati). Good luck and thanks for the info. I started watching the surgery video. I like how you organized your blog. I have a blog - much less organized. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I do pray for a quick recovery for you. You have a great outlook -I'm sure it spreads to the people around you. Thank you!

Carrie Murray :)

Carrie,

No way - how cool!! I like the Cincinnati area very much! We buy lambs in that area, and my youngest sister goes to Cincinnati Childrens for pediatric care for a mild case of CP.

Thanks for the well wishes! The surgery video is pretty gruesome, isn't it? I got about half of the way through it and needed to stop watching. were you able to finish it? Have you had your surgery already?

Thanks! That's one of my skills, very organized. That was originally a Facebook note to tell my friends about what was going on. I wanted it to be easy to read.

Thanks so much for your prayers! I am blessed to have such a great outlook. God is amazing, and I have no doubt with his help I will get through this! I hope that my positive outlook does - that's my goal anyway. :)

You're welcome!

God bless you! You are in my prayers as well!

hopeful1 said:

I just looked at your blog. I live in Ohio (near Cincinnati). Good luck and thanks for the info. I started watching the surgery video. I like how you organized your blog. I have a blog - much less organized. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I do pray for a quick recovery for you. You have a great outlook -I'm sure it spreads to the people around you. Thank you!

Ill have to look at your blog. I should get your email or cell number so we can text or email after surgery. I think it will be great to have a surgery buddy. Crummy you will spend your bday and Thanksgiving in the hospital. Sounds like you have a very supportive family though that will make it great no matter what. Good luck!!!

Mindy

hi katrina...

how are you feeling today??? I am so happy you have such a great family..that means so very much.

thanks for the link for caringbridge..great organization.

as far as tips on recovery...well, i am the worst patient..so i will tell you what i was told..didn't do 1/2 of it due to life issues!!lol

listen to your body..when you need to lay down..just do it...the laundry can wait, the dishes in the sink, ect..

when you are through resting....walking around works wonders...drink lots of water..pain meds will constipate you..and that is one thing you must avoid..My personal home remedy for being 'backed up' is ....warm apple cider and every p.m. i took 2 senocot....can get it at walmart..OTC...called Senna...lots cheaper and works well.

i always tell folks here b4 going into the hospital to bring facial wipes/baby wipes..(Lord only knows where those hopital face clothes have been!!LOL) bring your softest, most comfy jammie bottoms...so when they have you walking about your butt won't be hanging out...plus..hospital sheets are not known for their softness!! I also brought a fleece blanket from home...i actually had help in folding it and put it on top of my pillow..helped ease head pain/insicion pain..i like to lay on my back sometimes.

peace,

lori

Katrina,

I just went to the Dr. today and will be scheduling my surgery for December probably the end of after Christmas (I teach so they think they can schedule it at the end of my break). Wow, if you come down this way (after you recover) we should meet for lunch for something. I feel very fortunate to have Cincinnati Children's so close - we haven't need it often with my children, but we used it for 3 or the 4 of them. Both of my daughters have applied to OSU one for music ed and the other for psychology.

I didn't make it through the video in part, because my younger boys were trying to watch it with me. I may try later.

I do a facebook post with a link to my blog as well, but my blog is literally me just blah blah blah.

Just so I know you get this before your surgery - Happy Birthday and Happy Thanksgiving! I'll be checking your site.

Sending you prayers, positive energy, and well wishes!

Take care,

Carrie :)

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

No way - how cool!! I like the Cincinnati area very much! We buy lambs in that area, and my youngest sister goes to Cincinnati Childrens for pediatric care for a mild case of CP.

Thanks for the well wishes! The surgery video is pretty gruesome, isn't it? I got about half of the way through it and needed to stop watching. were you able to finish it? Have you had your surgery already?

Thanks! That's one of my skills, very organized. That was originally a Facebook note to tell my friends about what was going on. I wanted it to be easy to read.

Thanks so much for your prayers! I am blessed to have such a great outlook. God is amazing, and I have no doubt with his help I will get through this! I hope that my positive outlook does - that's my goal anyway. :)

You're welcome!

hopeful1 said:

UPDATE: My surgery is MOVED to November 23. Probably around the same time. MY OR time was given to a more needy patient by the hospital. What's an extra 24 hours wait? I'm so lucky it isn't a much longer wait! :)

Carrie,

Where will you have your surgery? Keep me posted! What is your blog? I'll follow it, if you would like me to.

What do you teach? I have a secondary license to teach agriculture! I am in graduate school at Ohio State just to progress my education. Too cool that your daughters have applied to OSU! If I can do anything to help, let me know! I gave campus tours as an undergrad student. I love being at OSU, it's such a great school!

I was just down in your area on Friday, on my way to Lexington, KY for a meeting. I will let you know so we could meet for lunch!

Thanks for the Thanksgiving and Birthday wishes! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

Take care! Sending lots of positive thought and prayers your way!

Katrina

hopeful1 said:

Katrina,

I just went to the Dr. today and will be scheduling my surgery for December probably the end of after Christmas (I teach so they think they can schedule it at the end of my break). Wow, if you come down this way (after you recover) we should meet for lunch for something. I feel very fortunate to have Cincinnati Children's so close - we haven't need it often with my children, but we used it for 3 or the 4 of them. Both of my daughters have applied to OSU one for music ed and the other for psychology.

I didn't make it through the video in part, because my younger boys were trying to watch it with me. I may try later.

I do a facebook post with a link to my blog as well, but my blog is literally me just blah blah blah.

Just so I know you get this before your surgery - Happy Birthday and Happy Thanksgiving! I'll be checking your site.

Take care,

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

You're welcome!

hopeful1 said:

Abby,

Thanks for your prayers, Thanksgiving, and Birthday wishes!! I promise I will keep you all updated. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT! Everyone on here is so wonderful and has helped me so much through this process!

I am praying for you as well!

God Bless!

Katrina

Abby said:

Will have you much in my prayers and your family is wonderful! Happy 23rd birthday, and Happy Thanksgiving too. Know we are here for you and thinking of you all the way. Let us know when you can how your doing.

Sending you many prayers and hugs,

Abby

Hey Lori,

My Chiari treated me pretty poorly today, but I'm still in good spirits! Knowing that is will go away soon does wonders for my dealing with it!

I am very spoiled - my family is truly a blessing. My mother has multiple sclerosis, and is going to move in with me for a few weeks until I get my sutures and staples out. Then I'm going to move home until January. She is on disability so she can stay with me and not have to worry about work. :) I haven't spent much time with her since I started college, so I'm looking forward to making up for lost time.

Thanks SO much for your tips! I have packed the fleece blanket and jammie bottoms! I'll add baby wipes to the list as well!! I wouldn't have thought of them!!

I hope all is well with you! I'm praying for you!

God bless,

Katrina

lori said:

hi katrina...

how are you feeling today??? I am so happy you have such a great family..that means so very much.

thanks for the link for caringbridge..great organization.

as far as tips on recovery...well, i am the worst patient..so i will tell you what i was told..didn't do 1/2 of it due to life issues!!lol

listen to your body..when you need to lay down..just do it...the laundry can wait, the dishes in the sink, ect..

when you are through resting....walking around works wonders...drink lots of water..pain meds will constipate you..and that is one thing you must avoid..My personal home remedy for being 'backed up' is ....warm apple cider and every p.m. i took 2 senocot....can get it at walmart..OTC...called Senna...lots cheaper and works well.

i always tell folks here b4 going into the hospital to bring facial wipes/baby wipes..(Lord only knows where those hopital face clothes have been!!LOL) bring your softest, most comfy jammie bottoms...so when they have you walking about your butt won't be hanging out...plus..hospital sheets are not known for their softness!! I also brought a fleece blanket from home...i actually had help in folding it and put it on top of my pillow..helped ease head pain/insicion pain..i like to lay on my back sometimes.

peace,

lori

Hey Mindy!!

Please do! I am very blessed to have a great family! My mom has multiple sclerosis, and is able to move in with me until my sutures and staples come out (I live about 10 minutes away from the hospital I'm going to), and then I am able to move back in with my parents until January.

It will be a Thanksgiving and Birthday that I hope I don't remember....but my family is rescheduling everything for us to spend time together later. Crummy that you'll be in there for Thanksgiving as well, especailly after you had probably planned on being out by then!

We will sorta be surgery patients. I, like you, had my surgery rescheduled. I am now going in on the 23rd. I will message you my email and cell number! I would love to have a surgery buddy! WE CAN GET THROUGH IT TOGETHER!!! :) :) :)

GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO!!!

God bless! Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way!

Katrina

P

Ill have to look at your blog. I should get your email or cell number so we can text or email after surgery. I think it will be great to have a surgery buddy. Crummy you will spend your bday and Thanksgiving in the hospital. Sounds like you have a very supportive family though that will make it great no matter what. Good luck!!!!

Mindy

Katrina,

I will have surgery at University Hospital. My surgeon has recently just opened a Chiari center in Cincinnati (well actually the Mayfield Clinic is now a Chiari Center). I feel very confident in his abilities, which is great.

I teach 5th grade Science and Social Studies in Lakota Local Schools (it's a large suburban school district about half way between Cincinnati and Dayton).

I'll be sending you prayers and thoughts on the S-day (this is how I'm refering to surgery day). Keep us posted - if you can. What pre-op stuff do you have to do?

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

Where will you have your surgery? Keep me posted! What is your blog? I'll follow it, if you would like me to.

What do you teach? I have a secondary license to teach agriculture! I am in graduate school at Ohio State just to progress my education. Too cool that your daughters have applied to OSU! If I can do anything to help, let me know! I gave campus tours as an undergrad student. I love being at OSU, it's such a great school!

I was just down in your area on Friday, on my way to Lexington, KY for a meeting. I will let you know so we could meet for lunch!

Thanks for the Thanksgiving and Birthday wishes! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

Katrina

hopeful1 said:

Katrina,

Take care,

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

You're welcome!

hopeful1 said:

Carrie,

That was actually where I was thinking of going if I did not feel comfortable at the NS I am at now! I'm so glad that's close for you to be able to get your surgery and treatment at!

I know Lakota Schools. Many of my college friends grew up in that area! Very cool! I bet 5th graders are fun!

For my pre-op I had an EKG, blood work, and chest xray. What are you having to do for yours?

I'll be praying for you that you get your date soon, and everything continues to go as well as it can! Thanks for your prayers! I like S-day, very creative! May I borrow it to tell people as well?

Take care! God bless! :)

Katrina

hopeful1 said:

Katrina,

I will have surgery at University Hospital. My surgeon has recently just opened a Chiari center in Cincinnati (well actually the Mayfield Clinic is now a Chiari Center). I feel very confident in his abilities, which is great.

I teach 5th grade Science and Social Studies in Lakota Local Schools (it's a large suburban school district about half way between Cincinnati and Dayton).

I'll be sending you prayers and thoughts on the S-day (this is how I'm refering to surgery day). Keep us posted - if you can. What pre-op stuff do you have to do?

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

Katrina

hopeful1 said:

Katrina,

Take care,

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

You're welcome!

hopeful1 said:

Surgery date is so excited! holidays stink to spend in the hospital i spent last christmas. Just think of all that you have to come! I was 18 when i had my surgery almost a year ago, and today i go back for my one year check-in. Be patient with yourself and when it gets tough always remember it gets better! stay positive. God Bless! <3

Katrina,

My blog is: http://clsm72.blogspot.com/

We do send a lot of people to Ohio State here in Lakota - 5th grade is pretty fun! How about agriculture - do you teach it now or did you go straight for a master's degree? I dont' know what I have to have done yet - it will be in the "letter" that will arrive soon. It looks like my surgery will be January 3 - You can absolutely use S-day. We'll make it a catch phrase - LOL! :)

Take care,
hopeful1 said:

Katrina,

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

Katrina

hopeful1 said:

Katrina,

Take care,

Katrina S. said:

Carrie,

You're welcome!

hopeful1 said:

Definetly noticed. I work in Prospective Student Recruiting as well at OSU. We see a lot of interest from your area. I went straight into my Master's Degree as they offered to pay for my schooling and give me a stipend. :) I taught school for about 4 months last year for my student teaching experience though. I get to teach public speaking classes at OSU with my job, so I still teach, just something different for a little while.

Best wishes as you prepare for surgery! Keep me posted! I hope you get the date you want!

I think we can get it to catch on! S-day it is! :)

Take Care! God bless!!