Chiropractor or not

I was recently dx and my dr who is a neuroloigst not a NS suggested seeing a chiropractor for treating neck and shoulders not a physical theripist. Any suggestions on this ?

I went to the chiropractor not knowing it would cause further herniation. Shortly after going I became symptomatic and had an MRI. It showed a herniation of 30mm. I remember being very young and the NL saying I have a “small chiari” and not to worry about it. This is the regret of my life and its very hard not to dwell on it.

Definitely NOT. Seriously, do not take the risk. Chiropractors just do not have enough experience and knowledge of Chiari. My sister in law and her husband are both Chiros and while i love and respect them, they hadnt even heard of it when i was diagnosed 3 years ago. Heck, lots of neurologists aren’t even all that knowledgeable about it. I would never allow anyone to manipulate my neck, other than my NS.

I was sent to a Chiropractor and physical therapy by my family Dr. before knowing I have CM. I was having bad spasms and numbness in my left limbs. It made me feel much worse afterwards. No pain, no gain. I did this occasionally for a few years by Dr. instructions. My NS told me that it probably did make things worse!

NOOOOO....don't go. It is what sparked ALL of my issues and I am now a complete neurological mess due to it. I had no idea that I had chiari. It's only through this awful journey of trying to figure out what was wrong that I have put all the pieces together. 8 mos of the chiropractor cranking my neck 3x/wk caused ligament damage. I now have upper cervical instability, a retroflexed odontoid that is compressing my brainstem and chiari. In the midst of trying to get help in figuring this out, doctors put me thru 5 surgeries in 1 yr - 3 of which were probably never needed - 2 cervical fusions, a thrombolysis for a DVT that I got in my left arm and 2 rib removals. It has been hell for the past 3 yrs. I am SO sorry that I ever stepped foot into the guy's office.

I used to get Chiro adjustments all the time. Felt great! But now since my diagnosis, my Chiro won’t touch me.