Chiropractor Neurologist

I just saw a chiropractor Neurologist today and had probably had the most thorough examinations ever!! He seems to have some good ideas and plans for me to receive some relief. Has anyone else been to one and had some good results?

1 Like

I've never of such a thing. Let us know how things go.

Good luck and God bless,

Grandma Carol

I'm with Grandma Carol. Is he a medical doctor neurologist? I'd be skeptical. I trained with a person who claimed to be a Sports Medicine Doctor, and everyone called him Dr. Gibson, then he said it was a Phd, but later it was some designation of some chiropractic specialty. I've seen too many chiropractic manuals saying they should NOT work on someone with Chiari for me to be comfortable with someone who says they can work on you. Good luck.

Hello!
I’d be interested in learning more information from you on this topic also because as Elizabeth has mentioned I have also found much advisement against chiropractors for those of us with chiari1mslformatuin because forceful manipulation has resulted in less then desirable outcomes. Please expound on on your experience because perhaps he has ideas for you that do not involve manipulation. I am of the same understanding as Elizabeth and I would also be very hesitant to go to a chiropractor especially if cervical instability has not been ruled out. Given I am just a laymen and fairly new to the subject. We look forward from hearing more from you on this topic. Thank you for posting! Kris

i too was advised against chiropractors. And it has been in about everythign i have read about Chiari. Also, I am with Grandma Carol. Is he a chiropractor AND neurologist? I dont' know how anyoen woudl be able to do both. I have never heard of anyone with both of those designations. I do know there ARE chiropractors who do other types of chiropractic care that don't involve the force or manipulations that most chiropractors use but it is hard to find them, depending on where you live. I myself am looking for an accupressure person. They can work wonders without even touchign your back. But i am skeptical of what this guy claims to be. Have you checked into it? Not that we don't doubt you but it does sound a little fishy knowing how both professions are. We don't want you to get into something that will make thinigs worse for you. Definitely let us know how it goes.

So I have now been to 2 visits and I'm very pleased with my quality of care he is giving. With the thorough examination I had at the 1st visit, it is found that I have scoliosis, a shorter left leg, and I'm a major teethe "clentcher". The scoliosis is news to me! The x-rays were amazing! The "ironic" thing to me is that my brother who has Chiari as well (we live in different states) was told that same information by his doctors.

I find this all very helpful! It gives me some hope (which I had completely lost). The Dr even said I can't cure Chiari, however if we can address some of these issues, it should help decrease the intensity of my headaches. Lord knows that that alone is worth its weight in gold!!

We are going to give it a month and then see if there is signs of progress. He does not "pop" my neck. It so far has been massage (stretching) therapy, an insert in my shoe for my shorter leg, at home stretching exercises, and a little acupuncture. I'm willing to give this a try because I'm far from ready to have surgery and I haven't heard of enough positive results from decompression surgery.

I've copied a link that explains Chiropractor Neurologists. http://keystonechiropracticneurology.com/

I've seen a chiropractic neurologist for years before I was diagnosed. She has helped me more than any other doctor. She uses a tool to adjust me, and is always very gentle. She knows about my Chiari now, and is working with me. I love her! I hope that you have as good of an experience with your doctor as I've had with mine.

It sounds like you are dealing with someone who is multifaceted in alternative medicine and I am extreamlyl happy for you. Just the fact that you are having a positive experience that is lifting your spirit can be healing in itself. I don’t think any of us were trying to discourage you, I think we were all just concerned for you but much less so now that you have expounded on the course of therapy. I hope you continue to have excellent outcomes. I just recently read about a girl with TBI who could barely walk on her own and definitely not without an assistive mobility device who after having a chiropractor work with her made a drastic recovery, so I do think they have validity. I was just afraid of something being done to make you worse if you were not aware of the dangers that inexperienced chiropractors could impose. Wonderful to hear that is is working out for you and sometimes just being treated well goes great distances. Kris

1 Like

oops

I almost forgot. You mentioned that your brother also has chairi. Are you aware that they are doing a genetic study at Duke to try to determine if there are genes that are associated with chiari? They have been looking for people who have at least one family member with chairi who is also willing to participate in the study. I didn’t know you would be interested in following up with it at all, but if you are, let me know, I will try to dig up the info for you. The findings have the potential to make it so they could possibly be able to test people for it in the future. Kris

1 Like

Wow Yvonne, that is awesome! I will have to look around to see if anyoen around here is like that. I do know that accupuncture is beneficial for us, as well as massage therapy. I want to get a deep tissue massage adn accupressure. I am glad thatit is helping you. There are different type of chiropractors adn alternative medicine is beinning to get real big now due to so many people having specific problems in life. I hope it keeps working for you. how did you find this doctor?

I found this Dr by an ad he had in our city's Right to Life Banquet booklet. I will keep everyone posted on the results.

Thank you to everyone for thoughts and concerns. It all made me look deeper & research more.

I will definitely look into the study!! Thanks! I had no idea this was going on. :)

Kris said:

I almost forgot. You mentioned that your brother also has chairi. Are you aware that they are doing a genetic study at Duke to try to determine if there are genes that are associated with chiari? They have been looking for people who have at least one family member with chairi who is also willing to participate in the study. I didn't know you would be interested in following up with it at all, but if you are, let me know, I will try to dig up the info for you. The findings have the potential to make it so they could possibly be able to test people for it in the future. Kris

Hi All

Just wanted to put in a cautionary note here in that alternative medicines should still be research-based before one considers plunking down a lot of money for treatment.

Sometimes it seems that nobody listens or understands when one has Chiari and it can feel really good when someone does indeed listen and therapeutically touches the body into a relaxed state. If that is all that you are looking for then by all means continue. Touch and a caring person can go a long way in helping to get through tough times. Just need to determine if an ear is the goal or actual treatment with a measurable and significant level of improvement in the ailment.

"Spin Doctors" is an excellent book to check out the philosophy behind chiropractors to see if that philosophy jives with yours and your pocket book.

did it help resolve any dizziness?

Yes, I would like to hear the answer to that too! Other than just time as a resolver of symptoms…

Hi gabby, do the reflex exercises you posted help you with getting rid of lightheadedness dizziness when moving head/neck?

Yes! Yes! Yes! And I can’t even remember when the last time I did them was. No dizziness when I was told I would have it for the rest of my life - perhaps the doctors were a bit dramatic!

They are posted under Newbie Information. Here is the link. Ask me any questions.

Hi Gabby, when you said you had dizziness, was it more like a feeling of lightheadedness, some heavyness, wobbliness in head and off balance feeling when turning head, looking down, or up?

I am looking for videos in youtube

for visual people, vids are better. do you recommend this video?

I do not remember what words I used to describe it - funny things happened when I moved my head or rolled. Here is a little blurb about dizziness and vertigo. There are lots more.

The video that you found is from a woman named Masgutova who is very pioneer in the field. It is basic and gross assessment with one example of a treatment exercise. It misses the subtlety seen in patients, especially adults. They are not the same exercises I outlined on this site. While I do not know of the efficacy of these exercises for vestibular treatment, they seem sound.

Another thing I noted in a quick perusal of Google is that there is more and more awareness of the importance of integrating primitive reflexes - more of a focus on children but still present for all populations. What this means is that more Chiari folk may be able to find therapists who at least know about primitive reflexes and could treat that aspect of Chiari.