Anyone else with insurance conflicts?

I got the call from my surgery scheduler today and said that insurance won’t cover it for it is considered “pre existing g” even though I just got the diagnosis this month. I’m not really sure what else I can do seeing as I need the decompression surgery. I’m being seen at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle by Dr. Steege. They recommended applying for charity care but how often do they even take cases like chiari? And what if it doesn’t work? Some advice is needed as I am now stressing out about finances. I have not been able to work for almost two years now so there’s no way to afford this on my own.

There’s got to be a way. A look on Wikipedia says that for WA there is a maximum of 9 months of pre existing exclusion period for all group health insurance plans. What month did you start paying your premium? If it was January than the nine months will be up in a couple of days. Your gonna half to get your health plan paperwork and start going through it comparing it with your state laws and HIPPA laws (HIPPA places limitations on the length of time for a pre existing exclusion period for group plans. If you have an individual health plan there are different rules, they do not necessarily have to comply with HIPPA. I think Tracy knows a lot about insurance, she may know something that can help you.

Keep us posted on this

Jenn