Surgery scheduled

I got the word a couple of days ago that my surgery is scheduled for May 30th. Kinda makes it all real and final now that I have a date. I would love to hear some of you guys who have had decompression
surgery stories and experiences. I think I’m even more nervous now that it’s scheduled! Stress=headache=long wait…so it cant come soon enough. Although I’m scared, I do see light at the end of the tunnel. It has to get better than this. I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Hi...

So glad that you got a date set.

I had decompression in 08 and have had some positive results even though I still struggle with symptoms but I am better than I was before surgery.

I will suggest to you that after the operation is done and you are in the recovery room make sure you let the nurses know your pain level and they will be sure to keep you there until your pain in managable. I spent 1 night in ICU which I am pretty sure is the norm ..then moved to another room.

I had staples not stitches..I guess every Ns has their own way of doing things. I had no issues as far as infections or CSF leaks , thank God.

The first week I was in a lot of pain and dizzy but as time passed it eased.

keep us updated.

Peace,

Lori

Thanks Lori. I will be sure to let the nurses know about the pain. I have a very high tolerance for pain but will be sure not to try and “rough it”. I know this is a weird question but how long after the surgery could you wash your hair? I know this sounds vain but it’s a question that I just though of when going over the before and after things that “I think” I will be and not be able to do in the immediate days following. Thanks for your response!

lori said:

Hi…

So glad that you got a date set.

I had decompression in 08 and have had some positive results even though I still struggle with symptoms but I am better than I was before surgery.

I will suggest to you that after the operation is done and you are in the recovery room make sure you let the nurses know your pain level and they will be sure to keep you there until your pain in managable. I spent 1 night in ICU which I am pretty sure is the norm …then moved to another room.

I had staples not stitches…I guess every Ns has their own way of doing things. I had no issues as far as infections or CSF leaks , thank God.

The first week I was in a lot of pain and dizzy but as time passed it eased.

keep us updated.

Peace,

Lori

Looks like you and I are in the same boat. :) I scheduled my May 24th surgery on Friday. I'm feeling pretty much the same as you too, the light at the end of the tunnel was exactly how I described it to my hubby. But my surgeon deals with a lot of Chiari patients, and he was a really great guy, so I'm not too worried about it. Did your NS order any pre-op testing? Mine ordered a full spine MRI, and I have to meet with preoperative medicine at the hospital I am having my surgery at. (My previous MRI was head and top part of the neck only).

I am 5wks post op and I have had a great experience thus far. The 1st week is the worst as far as pain goes. Make sure they give you a strong muscle relaxer to help with the muscle spasms in your neck. They are killers. I did a pain pump the 1st 3 days and then switched over to oral meds after that. I did fioicet for headaches, roxicodone and nucynta for pain, and flexural for the muscle spasms. I spent 1 night in the ICU and another 4 on the neuro floor. According to many on this board my recovery has been much quicker than most. I returned to work half days just 3 weeks after surgery. I have been able to do so much more even with restrictions than I could prior to surgery. I would do this surgery all over again a million times if I had to. It was so worth it. Do I still get headaches.... yes, but not nearly as bad. I still wear out easily, can't fully bend over without feeling a lot of pressure in my head and my scalp is driving me nuts because parts of it are still numb and others itch, but scratching hurts. It is so weird! The waiting before surgery was the worst part of the whole thing for me. I am not a very patient person, especially when I am in pain and not able to function. With all that said before my surgery I would have said all my symptoms combined equaled a 10+ and now I am at a 2-4 most days, but never get above a 6 on a scale of 1-10. It is so nice!!!!

Good luck!!!