Strange symptom...? Can you relate...?

Its not really a symptom, but when I lay down in bed at night I have a little dizziness, pretty mild. Not there in the morning when I wake up. Probably from anxiety from 2 previous episodes of BPPV months ago. s this is NOT Bppv. However, I notice in the bath, when I lay down to rinse my hair Im fine.

But anytime during the day, If I lay down on the floor on a harder surface/carpet but still floor not soft bed. I get dizzy everytime. Its like the back of my head is sensitive or something. I also remember for years I always hated when someone touched my head, like as in a little rub of the hair like to say hi there... But dont mind when someone combs my hair. Does this make sense... Can anyone relate to this at all.

Thanks

K

Hello and thanks, I meant can you relate to dizziness while laying flat, no pillow...

BPPV is the benign positional vertigo, when the crystals get loose in yours ears and causes vertigo. mostly turning in bed.

I didn't want anyone to think I was talking about that type of dizziness when laying down.

Wondering about the bath thing, because my thought are, is it weight related. Could the bath water be just enough that it partially floats my head, and thus the semi weightless ness takes away any sort of pressure when laying flat and therefore, no dizziness.............. yes I have thought about this way to much. :-)

Dizziness when laying down flat is because your skull and spine are pinching your cerebellum, obviously. But the pinching backs up the flow of spinal fluid, which makes your brain flow around in the space which makes you dizzy. I have it all the time. Have you seen a chiropractor? Before I knew I had Chiari, I went to the chiropractor and his adjustments on my neck, the dizziness started to go away. It isn't always the safest to do depending on your case, but you can talk to your neurologist or neurosurgeon to see what they say about it. I am post-op almost a year, and my case was severe kind of, and I still go to the chiropractor, and it helps me so much. Definitely check with your neuro first, and make sure you have sufficient pillows under your head when you go to bed. Keep it soft enough that it molds around your head and neck, but make sure that it is sturdy enough to support your head and neck enough to keep you from being dizzy.

Im glad that you said skull/spine pinching your cerebellum. It wasn't obvious to me. Never heard of it before.

Not one doctor that I have seen said anything about this. Is this common with chiari and did a doctor give you that information? That would explain the water/bath, maybe the weightless comes into play.

Not questioning you, just wondering. I cannot do any chiro work, I have 2 neck surgeries. Plus I really dont like chiro's.

I found out about my Chiari, because of my tonsils of the cerrabellum and arteries being compressed and it created a basilar artery anuryseum. I now have a VP shunt that is computerised it regulates my spinal fluid flow. But any type of pressure or climate change affects me. Swimming does also and I was told by my NS to avoid airplanes due to altitude change. It amazes me how quickly I go from feeling pretty good to miserable. I hope you find the answer to ur question.God bless.

Ahh, okay. That is understandable. I work at a chiropractor and they know all about Chiari and my surgery and everything so I am lucky in that way.

I don't remember how I found that out. I think it was all of the research that my mom did about Chiari. She knows more about it than I even do. I did a whole lot of research o it too, so from all of the research we have done we know boat loads about it. My neurosurgeon probably told me about that too. The fact that the cerebellum is lower than the magnum forum (hole in the skull), means that there is more brain by your spinal chord, and the chord and skull pinch in around the cerebellum.

I hope I'm not just confusing you with all of this. I really hope it helps!!

Kgirl said:

Im glad that you said skull/spine pinching your cerebellum. It wasn't obvious to me. Never heard of it before.

Not one doctor that I have seen said anything about this. Is this common with chiari and did a doctor give you that information? That would explain the water/bath, maybe the weightless comes into play.

Not questioning you, just wondering. I cannot do any chiro work, I have 2 neck surgeries. Plus I really dont like chiro's.