Social Security Disability

I am a 44 year old female, diagnosed with Chiari malformation type 1 and syringomyelia, who had decompression surgery at the end of October, 2014. I have worked 20 plus years in daycare. My symptoms included neck, shoulder, back, and arm pain, along with headaches. Not knowing how successful my recovery would be, I filed for Social Security disability. My employer was very good about holding my job, and by January I started back work half days, to test the waters. My symptoms had reduced somewhat, and I finally felt no worse than pre-surgery. After 2 weeks part-time, I decided to try full-time. After 4 weeks full-time, my symptoms became worse, and fearing aggravating my condition, I have asked to go back to half days, and I am not even sure now that I can hack that. Meanwhile, we received the decision from SS denying my claim for disability. My family does need some kind of income from me. I now have to decide whether to appeal or start a new claim. I may have "poisoned the well" on my original application, as I think I unknowingly went slightly over their allowed monthly income limit. I don't know of even any desk jobs that I might be able to do, as being in any position for extended periods of time causes pain. All this leads to my appeal for any of your experiences with trying to obtain SS disability.

Nykki said:

Always appeal a denied claim. Never start over. You lose money that way. When you decide to go back to work full-time, you are telling them that you are fine. The whole idea of disability is to prove that your condition(s) prevent you from working part or full-time to provide for your family.

Now you have to have several doctor appointments preferably with pain medicine, neurology, neurosurgery, and possibly physical therapy that can validate your pain, limited range of motion, limited mobility, headaches/migraines, and nerve damage if you have it.

After each visit, request your medical records, make a copy to give to ss people. I cant think of anything else right now.

Take care,

Nykki

Thank you Nykki for your advice.....

Cebu70