Chiari and SSI/SSDI

Hello.

I recently had checkups with my GP and neurologist, both see significant decrease in my condition and are recommending I try for disability. Has anyone had success in getting benefits?

Thanks!

I was really hoping that someone with chiari and got disability for it would have replied. I say try it, you can’t be any worse off than you are now. I applied back in 2011 and I’m still working on it. I have heard of people with chiari getting approved. Good luck, I hope you can get approved. :slight_smile:

This may be a helpful information point:

Social Security Disability (About this site: Applying for Social Security disability and SSI disability benefits can be difficult due to how long a claim can take and the high chance of being denied. But applicants who are denied can learn about the system and file an appeal. The purpose of this site is to distribute information that is typically impossible to get from the representative taking your claim for SSD and SSI benefits.)

You might check your state requirements. I have heard when you apply they turn you down the first time, but in one or two other try’s they got it on the first try. Sometimes having a good attorney goes a long way.
Good luck and keep us informed how you do.

Thanks to all that replied! I have tried applying and was denied to even do that. I had my entire medical history with me, including my MRIs and two doctor’s recommendations that I go on disability. The woman at the counter was very smug when telling me I wasn’t even eligible to fill out the application.

Why? You ask.

She stated that since I’m still working I’m not that sick. I argued with her that I work because I have to, I have no other choice. As a single woman with no kids I don’t qualify for any sort of aid whatsoever. I’m fairly deep in debt…mostly medical bills…and have no other source of income. Again, she smugly replied that I needed to quit my job and not work for at least six months, I could reapply then but probably still get denied.

Being frustrated as I was I asked, “so, you want me to quit my job? Get evicted for not paying rent? Get my car repossessed for not making the payments? Have yet another homeless sick person on the streets? I’m not still working for the fun of it. I’m still working because I have no other alternative.”

I’m currently living in Wilmington, DE but this weekend I’m relocating back to my native Cleveland, OH.

I am so sorry. That’s what it takes is to be penniless, homeless, and on government aid. The system is crazy.
Everyone tells me, you have to get a good disability attorney before they even listen to you.
Sending you prayers.
There has to be a better way to get disability.

I have a good disability attorney and still haven’t gotten anywhere. First off chiari is not listed as a condition that qualifies for disability, or I guess I’m mean its not on there list. I’m fortunate to have my husband support me,but we are always one paycheck away from losing everything. We just barely make it from paycheck to paycheck. It’s so frustrating because I know people who collect disability who never worked or paid into social security and their health problems were self inflicted by the lifestyle they choose to live. I’m sure most people know what I mean. I wish you luck and I hope you have family that can help you out.

Kelly, I know what your saying. Our system somehow forgot about why they actually got these programs started.
Again, I think it depends on the state you live in. I have heard several tries to one.

Hi there, just wondering since you last wrote this if you reapplied in the state you are now living. I have recently reapplied and got a lawyer this time around. I have heard it is very difficult to get disability for chiari alone but if you have other health issues contributing it can be easier. I have yet to find out if this is true but I am trying. Most chiarians do have multiple issues, I think you just have to really push to get it. I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I have uncontrolled hypothyroidism, extreme fatigue and mental confusion, almost daily headaches, all of which are making it impossible for me to work. I am only applying for SSD, not SSI but I do know with SSD you can work as long as you don’t go over a specific amount of money per month. I am fortunate enough to be married though and do have my husbands income to rely on, but as another person who responded stated, we are also living paycheck to paycheck and are hardly making it. I am hoping that you have family in OH and that’s why you went back there and that are able to and are helping you get by.