Shoe Envy

This is always the time of year that I mourn my narrow selection of footwear. I get catalogues with great looking high heeled boots, clogs, mules, pumps, shoebooties (that one always makes me giggle) wedges ect.... I pour over them and think "Maybe I could wear that one" And then I am snapped back to reality and remember the little issue I have with gravity and dizziness. Okay it's a big issue....It's called Chiari!

I was never one of those people that had dozens of shoes. I had a love hate relationship with high heels especially because I used to work on my feet and was expected to wear them. I did love high heeled mules and clogs and boots and looked forward each Fall to buying at least one nice pair. Now I look at the pictures and they might as well be stilts! I could never walk in something with a heel now.

My shoe choices now boil down to checking for grip, traction, steadiness, sensibility, utility ect... Not exactly sexy or exciting words or shoes. Now I just hope when I put on a pair shoes that I can feel the ground underneath me and that I can rely on them to keep me on my feet.....at least for a little while. : )

I am struggling with the same issue right now! Lol, I was just looking at shoes this past weekend and I am saddened that I cannot where wedges anymore! I have a nice collection of flats and sneakers, but I want something that looks nice and offers some stability. I am actually wanting to get a pair of those leather slipper looking shoes with the fuzzy stuff inside. Then I can at least have warm feet and be able to wear something comfortable other than sneakers. Lol, this is probably on the bottom of my worry list, but it stinks that we have to keep our stability in mind when shoe shopping. Another annoying thing about this Chiari. We should design cute Chiari shoes. Lol....btw, this post really made me smile :)

Yes.... I too am in mourning & contemplating.. especially really great boots right now..Sometimes I do wear shoes I know I shouldn't & pay for it dearly, but we give up so much.....how could the Shoe god be against us also??? ;-)

I agree with Abby...about the balance issue, but I usually wear practical shoes. Try the Softy Brand shoes. They make dress shoes that have soft soles and are comfortable to wear for people with neck & spine problems. Also wedges are a good option & stylish right now. Yes Shoes are a major part of a great outfit......Come on guys...I know you have your favorite shoes also....

Hello,
I’m new to this group (as of yesterday) I am in a fb support group & this group was recommended to me. I’m trying to familiarize myself with everything, as I stumbled on this conversation I had to laugh (which was a much needed laugh). I think I’m still in the denial stages when it comes to shoes. I LOVE shoes & according to my husband I could open my own shoe store. I have stopped wearing my really high heels but my wedges I still “try” to wear. I also still “try” to wear my smaller heels. I was the girl who had on a fabulous pair of shoes everyday! I just started falling more & more within the past few months so having to weed out my shoes is so hard. It’s great to see I’m not the only one who mourns their shoe loss.

Nicole,

I love the furry shoes. That my luxury now. I have a pair of Uggs that if someone tried to take them away from me I would seriously have a fit. LOL It's like putting your foot into a warm cozy fuzzy piece of heaven. They aren't the most attractive but they make me happy....Oh and great traction!

Wendy

nicole said:

I am struggling with the same issue right now! Lol, I was just looking at shoes this past weekend and I am saddened that I cannot where wedges anymore! I have a nice collection of flats and sneakers, but I want something that looks nice and offers some stability. I am actually wanting to get a pair of those leather slipper looking shoes with the fuzzy stuff inside. Then I can at least have warm feet and be able to wear something comfortable other than sneakers. Lol, this is probably on the bottom of my worry list, but it stinks that we have to keep our stability in mind when shoe shopping. Another annoying thing about this Chiari. We should design cute Chiari shoes. Lol....btw, this post really made me smile :)

Emmaline,

All those years of working on my feet did a job on mine too. I had awful problems but used trigger point therapy and it helped it a lot. I remember my first pair of platform shoes when I was a teenager. They were navy blue and I thought they were the bomb! Even then I had some issues with gravity so I couldn't wear them that much but I have never forgotten them. : )

Wendy

Emmaline said:

Haha! Good thread!

Luckily, my feet haven't tolerated cute shoes for some time now, so I haven't been mourning the loss as much. I still mourn, but it's been pretty much since my 20's that I haven't been able to wear them. Plantar fasciitis and a wide foot pretty much left me out of the picture. But those platform shoes are so adorable...I try then on for a minute in the shoe store and pretend they're mine. They make your legs look so good.

But stable? Um...no.

Abby,

I'm like Emmaline I try them on every once and a while in a store... sitting down.Look at my feet and then look at the ground and get over any fantasy of ever standing up and walking in them. LOL All my heels and complicated shoes are long gone. I've looked at those Keen online and they look awesome. Are the flexible in the sole? I need to be able to feel the ground. If shoes are too hard on the bottom it rules them out. The Keen kind of remind me of the Earth Shoes in the 70's because of the roomy toe area. Boy did I think I was stylin in my Earth Shoes from Tom Mcan. : )

Wendy

Abby said:

Love to see pretty shoes on others, but got rid of all of those ones icould not balance myself on. The best shoe I have found for keeping me safe is the mary jane Keen shoe. A bit pricey, but well worth the comfort.
Good topic Wendy.

Tracy,

I really miss a cool pair of boots. I have my Uggs that I love dearly but there are so many beautiful boots now. I twist my ankle very easily so anything that is the least bit wobbly and I'm in trouble. I broke my ankle once just by twiisting it in a high heel.....ouch! I've seen those Softy shoes and they make some cute ones. I'll have to look them up. I have a pair of Toms shoes that are fun for summer. They don't have much support but they make me feel secure when I walk. I also like that they give a pair away for every pair bought.

Wendy

TracyZ said:

Yes.... I too am in mourning & contemplating.. especially really great boots right now..Sometimes I do wear shoes I know I shouldn't & pay for it dearly, but we give up so much.....how could the Shoe god be against us also??? ;-)

I agree with Abby...about the balance issue, but I usually wear practical shoes. Try the Softy Brand shoes. They make dress shoes that have soft soles and are comfortable to wear for people with neck & spine problems. Also wedges are a good option & stylish right now. Yes Shoes are a major part of a great outfit......Come on guys...I know you have your favorite shoes also....

Amy,

I am so happy you joined and that you are participating. That's it, we need to find reasons to laugh and I love self deprecating humor. It's hard making the adjustment from being able to wear any shoe to really having to think about it but once you fall a few times it brings it all into prespective. I kept some of my favorite heeled shoes for a long time. Now I just remember how nice they looked and forget how much some of them killed my feet. Thankfully they are making more shoes that mix form and function these days. Think of it this way....You get to have a good excuse to buy more shoes!! : ) Woo Hoo

Wendy

Amy Duhon said:

Hello,
I'm new to this group (as of yesterday) I am in a fb support group & this group was recommended to me. I'm trying to familiarize myself with everything, as I stumbled on this conversation I had to laugh (which was a much needed laugh). I think I'm still in the denial stages when it comes to shoes. I LOVE shoes & according to my husband I could open my own shoe store. I have stopped wearing my really high heels but my wedges I still "try" to wear. I also still "try" to wear my smaller heels. I was the girl who had on a fabulous pair of shoes everyday! I just started falling more & more within the past few months so having to weed out my shoes is so hard. It's great to see I'm not the only one who mourns their shoe loss.