Questions about Surgery

Hi,

I am Kirstie, I am getting surgery tomorrow; I was just wondering how it is going to be pain wise for me after my surgery?

Anyone who has had the surgery please tell me and answer any other questions.

:)

Love,

Kirstie

Kirstie,

i guess you mean once you are out of the hospital,that actually depends on you and your pain tolerance and well depends how you each person is different and there really is no true answer anyone can give you..

Best wishes to you and happy healing!!

Lisa,

Thank you....I didn't really know that it only depended on me. I thought that everyone felt the same..Well thank you anyways!!

Love,

Kirstie

Hi Kirstie,

Once the operation is done..you will go to the recovery room , where the nurses and doctors will make sure that your pain is bearable b4 they send you to ICU for the night. The 1st 3-5 days were very rough for me...but..one the other hand there are some folks here that felt great right away...see, I was on a lot of pain meds b4 surgery..which didn't help me with the surgical pain b/c I had built up a tolerance for the meds.....So, if you have NOT been taking narcotics for a long time..IMHO..you you feel better faster than i did as far as the pain went.

Now, my niece is already going back to work Wed and her surgery was about 8 weeks ago...they caught hers early and did the surgery soon after finding it.

Have you read my rant on what to be sure to take to the hospital???? Soft jammie bottoms, soft blanket...and my biggie...facial and baby wipes...just don't know where those hospital wash clothes have been!!LOL

Once home...listen to your body...rest when you need to..eat well, lots of water..and don't over do. We are all here for you.

You are in thought and prayer...soon you will be on the road to recovery!!

Peace,

Lori

Hi Kirstie<good luck for tomoz. i had my surgery 4 weeks ago and am slowly getting better,let me know how u get on x

Hi Kirstie,

You will have your pain level well managed in the hospital. Just remember to ask for pain medication as soon as you feel pain so that ut does not get out of control. Your doctor will release you with pain meds to take at home. Make sure you take them with food, get plenty of rest, don't try to do too much and you will do fine! Let us know how you are doing as soon as you can :)

Carla

Oh Kristie Iam so sorry I answered in such a vague way- i was actually replying to something else and copied and pasted a response into an email and accidently pasted it here and hit post being absent minded-- i didnt realize it until i came back and read this thread again and i was like wait thats not who i sent this to, then i had to check my email. I am very sorry--- yes they are correct your pain will be managed in the hospital, and they will wean you off to get you moving but i think that is subject to the doctor and or how you are doing personally some people require more time to recouperate before being weaned off and out of the ICU..typically they do try to get you moving and out of the hospital within 5 days again that is subject to the surgeon i know some people who were out of the hospital in shorter time frame and some who were in longer- i was out within 5 days and within 3 i was up and walking in the hospital, the first day they left me alone pretty much to recouperate then the second day they told me to get meds as needed and then slowly moved the bed up a little bit at a time until i was in a sitting position. and slowly added new foods. day 3 i was slowly walking the halls, little movements,etc pain management. I was sent home with pain meds and instructions

being i travled 8hrs to have my surgery i had a nice long drive ahead of me they made sure i had medication in me for pain before i left. On the way home my husband was very aware of my needs we drove maybe 4 hours and he pulled over and because we had a van laid down the back seats and laid out the blankets and the extra pillows we had taken with and left me sleep for awhile (i can not sleep while the car is moving plus he didnt feel sleeping while moving was a wise thing) once i woke up i felt good, painful but good took more meds and i made it home...the pain was manageable...

one thing i wouold suggest to ANYONE who is traveling more then one hour is to get a soft neckbrace and wear it on the return trip home...you may not feel you need it but you will be glad you had it believe me!! I wish i had it then--I didnt--but i so wish i did--lesson learned and i now travel no where long distance without it (Since i have cervical stenosis)

again i am sorry for being so veague (but it is TRUE) before i hope others answered your question- wishing you all the best--happy healin

Hi,
My surgeon is Dr. Bollo.
Love,
Kirstie

razzle51 said:

everyone is so diferent . Bobbi is having surgery tomorrow too. who is doing your surgery? Take as little as posible … best wishes

Thank you!! Everyone…
Love,
Kirstie

Carla Jo Stone said:

Hi Kirstie,

You will have your pain level well managed in the hospital. Just remember to ask for pain medication as soon as you feel pain so that ut does not get out of control. Your doctor will release you with pain meds to take at home. Make sure you take them with food, get plenty of rest, don’t try to do too much and you will do fine! Let us know how you are doing as soon as you can :slight_smile:

Carla

Good Luck, Kirstie! I'll be praying for you today.

Carrie

lori u r awesome such gr8 details. good to kno bout the pain meds thing. kristie hope all went well for u. Marleys surgery date is the 26th!!!! whew so relieved she is too. she cant wait.let us kno how u r whn ur ready. I`m sure u hv lots to share

First of all I will be praying for a successful surgery for you. I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and am feeling really good. My first day after surgery the pain was minimal but day two and three were worse. My doctor controlled my pain with Toradol, which is just a little stronger than ibuprofen, and on day three he ordered a muscle relaxer, but each time I needed something other than tylenol my doctor had to be called. I was surprised, but what he gave me worked. Be sure to ask as soon as you start feeling pain. I had a few painful days once home, but tylenol and toradol controlled it. Getting comfortable in your bed at home may be difficult at first. I slept in a recliner for 2 days. All in all the pain was not near as bad as I expected. Get plenty of rest and take things slowly. Put your Faith in God and know that he has you in his hands. Praying for you. - Melissa

Hi,
I wanted you to know that I am doing really well. I have been walking since 4 pm. Yesterday.
My nurse says what i am doing really good.
Love,
Kirstie

Shama6568 said:

lori u r awesome such gr8 details. good to kno bout the pain meds thing. kristie hope all went well for u. Marleys surgery date is the 26th!!!! whew so relieved she is too. she cant wait.let us kno how u r whn ur ready. I`m sure u hv lots to share

So happy to hear Kristie keep up the recoup. marly meets with the doc on fri. anything special we should ask?

Sherry,

When I had my operation I had a patient assisted pump of dilodid that worked wonders for me. I wish you the best with your surgery! I'm sending lots of prayers and hugs your way!

Katrina

Sherry said:

Hi Kristie and All! I will be having my surgery soon as well and read somewhere here that a morphine pump helped the post surgery headache many had, I was going to ask the doc about that.

sherry

Denise,

I am doing really good, especially because one day I layed in bed all day. I thank you for helping me and giving me support! :) My surgery went very good. There where no real problems, except the fact that my blood pressure was really high, and I woke up later than they wanted me too. Other than that everything else went perfect.

Love,

Kirstie

Denise said:

Hi Kirstie<good luck for tomoz. i had my surgery 4 weeks ago and am slowly getting better,let me know how u get on x