Is vertigo a major problem for any other CM sufferers?

I am very interested to know if anyone else suffers from vertigo? I was having vertigo attacks 3 -4 times a week prior to my decompression surgery in December 2011. My neurosurgeon didn't think vertigo would subside after surgery, however I only had 4 attacks post surgery 2 weeks apart and haven't had any now for 14 weeks. (However he did admit that not all medical professionals know all the symptoms of chiari) Apparentley I was a text book case of chiari and syringomyelia. I suffer from many symptoms of chiari and syringomyelia but vertigo was by far the worst thing to deal with. Everything would spin so fast I couldn't actually see anything and an attack could last 3 hours with severe vomitting then render me useless for the remainder of the day. I guess I'm just terrified it's going to return so would really appreciate some feedback from other members. As a single mother I'm really scared it will affect me working fulltime and I won't be able to pay the mortgage etc.

Thanks, Angie

I'm 3 months post-op and I have been getting vertigo the last few nights. Its always when I'm lying down that I get it. Its when I turn during the night, its like having bed spins. I'm hoping it will pass and is a part of the healing process. I hope it is the same for you. Take care.

I am 6 months post op and still have vertigo, before surgery it was only when I was laying down, now it isn't as frequent but when it does happen, it happens more when I am sitting up. I can actually feel myself leaning over trying to stop it but can't bring myself to sit upright...no idea what is up with that...I just don't want it to happen while I am driving!

Crystal

I hope it passes for you guys too. I am optimistic as mine was very frequent prior to decompression, as in almost daily and now postop I haven't had one in 16 weeks and I am so grateful for that. It's one of the worst things I've experienced in my whole life. Mine starts without warning, very sudden and very violent. Has happened heaps at work and I can't do anything, coworkers have to help me get to staffroom and they call someone to collect me. I couldn't count the times they've seen my head in a bucket. I guess I'm pleased that other people with CM have vertigo as I don't know how many doctors have told me CM doesn't cause vertigo. I hope things continue to improve for you guys.