Vertigo after surgery

Hi all. I never had vertigo before surgery. However, 2 nights ago and yesterday morning I experienced vertigo. Scared me to death! I knew it was vertigo because I’ve had the test for it before surgery. It came back negative at the time. Anyone out there develop vertigo after your decompression surgery. I am 6 wks post op today. Any feedback on this would be really appreciated.

Christine :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that.
I haven’t had surgery yet but I get it now so I feel for you.

Hi Christine! I had my decompression done Feb 2009 and this past March, I woke up with extreme vertigo. I couldn't even move my eyeballs without the room spinning around me so my husband took me to the ER where they pumped me full of drugs and sent me home 8 hrs later. They couldn't tell me why it happened but I know it was related to me Chiari. When I woke up, I found that I had been sleeping with my neck bent downward for quite awhile and I think it kinked something?? Anyway....it took 24 hrs to subside and it hasn't happened since then so I chalk it up to ongoing Chiari issues that I deal with everyday even though I've had surgery. I knew decompression wasn't going to be a "cure" but I thought it would help more then it did :( Hang in there girl!!

Susan~

Thank you.

Mindy said:

Sorry to hear that.
I haven't had surgery yet but I get it now so I feel for you.

Hi Susan. My thoughts were that this may be Chiari related. Having a difficult recovery. Praying that I'll improve with time. Haven't had another "spin" since Monday. I'm deflated about my surgery too. Trying to stay positive. I know the surgery wasn't a cure, but I thought by now I would be feeling alot better....NOT! Hope you stay spin free as well.

Christine :)

Susan22 said:

Hi Christine! I had my decompression done Feb 2009 and this past March, I woke up with extreme vertigo. I couldn't even move my eyeballs without the room spinning around me so my husband took me to the ER where they pumped me full of drugs and sent me home 8 hrs later. They couldn't tell me why it happened but I know it was related to me Chiari. When I woke up, I found that I had been sleeping with my neck bent downward for quite awhile and I think it kinked something?? Anyway....it took 24 hrs to subside and it hasn't happened since then so I chalk it up to ongoing Chiari issues that I deal with everyday even though I've had surgery. I knew decompression wasn't going to be a "cure" but I thought it would help more then it did :( Hang in there girl!!

Susan~

I havent had the surgery, but I can tell you I have suffered with chronic vertigo for YEARSSSSS. One attack lasted 9 months...lost my job, most of my friends...had no social life...was either in bed or on the couch, lieing down. Every movemnt made the world spin..forget about driving...the only reason the dr didnt take my license is because i told her i didnt want to die or kill anyone, and promised not to drive while this was going on. There are some drugs out there that help, Cerc something, lol helps some, didnt help me, all I can say is basically, you have to ride it thru, sometimes it lasts minutes, sometimes days, sometimes months.

Vertigo, defined.....your inner ear is shaped like a clover leaf, it has 3 chambers. In those chambers is fluid, and in THAT fluid are crystals. The fluid and crystals are what control our balance, or sense of. Vertigo is when those crystals have moved around, so you may have lots in one chamber, and none in another, and a few in the third....they move on their own, and theres not much can be done. They will eventual even out again, everyone is different. Some people swear by moving their head slowly, in a circlular motion and up and down, a few times a day, to "help" move those crystals. I think, myslef, its hit or miss.

If you ever want to chat, or ask me about my experiences with it feel free!

Any idea how vertigo is caused by Chiari? I guess I don't understand how the inner ear would be affected by the herniation??

lillyof64 said:

I havent had the surgery, but I can tell you I have suffered with chronic vertigo for YEARSSSSS. One attack lasted 9 months...lost my job, most of my friends...had no social life...was either in bed or on the couch, lieing down. Every movemnt made the world spin..forget about driving...the only reason the dr didnt take my license is because i told her i didnt want to die or kill anyone, and promised not to drive while this was going on. There are some drugs out there that help, Cerc something, lol helps some, didnt help me, all I can say is basically, you have to ride it thru, sometimes it lasts minutes, sometimes days, sometimes months.

Vertigo, defined.....your inner ear is shaped like a clover leaf, it has 3 chambers. In those chambers is fluid, and in THAT fluid are crystals. The fluid and crystals are what control our balance, or sense of. Vertigo is when those crystals have moved around, so you may have lots in one chamber, and none in another, and a few in the third....they move on their own, and theres not much can be done. They will eventual even out again, everyone is different. Some people swear by moving their head slowly, in a circlular motion and up and down, a few times a day, to "help" move those crystals. I think, myslef, its hit or miss.

If you ever want to chat, or ask me about my experiences with it feel free!