Is this normal?

Hey chiarians,
I get pressure headaches in my head and pain in my neck, but this is different. The last week it’s been like a stabbing, ice pick kind of pain, intermittent, at the back of my head but more focused on the right side. Has anyone else experienced this pain? I ask out of desperation cause it actually woke me up, its 6 am where I live and I’ve woken up after 4 hours of sleep, pain worse then ever and the nausea increased. It’s not unbearable, but it did wake me from sleep. Given that I’m awaiting my MRI still, I’m not under the care of a doctor so I’m not sure what to do or think. Has anyone felt this pain? I’m hoping I start to feel better real fast cause I work today and then I’m supposed to get all dressed up and celebrate my 21st birthday with my friends. Chiari has taken away so much, hopefully it won’t ruin my birthday too!
Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I had similar pain before I had my decompression surgery. I still get the pressure headaches, but without the stabbing pain. My NL sent me to the NS when the stabbing started. I don't have any answers to why, but just know that the pain is terrible. I had the feeling in the top of my head. It felt like something was boring into my brain. I hope you feel better soon! Happy Birthday! I know that you're only 21 once, but be careful with alcohol. It has a tendency to bring on headaches for me.

Maybe try Excedrine Migraine? Not much helped with this pain, but its worth a try.

On top of non-stop pressure in her head, my daughter's pain moves around, it can be stabbing, suddenly worse, etc,...anything and every thing. Docs don't know though if it's from the CM, they say. Hope your bday a a good one despite all of this and you get some relief.

I see that I am several days late here. I wanted to respond though, because you described my daughter's pain exactly-well, some of them. She gets that stabbing, ice pick kind of pain, just like you explained. Sometimes like you said, more on one side of the head, sometimes both. Sometimes in the ears. The ears she said, feel just like when she used to get a bad ear infection. Sometimes it's in one specific spot, sometimes it jumps around all over in there. Yup, can wake her up. Sometimes with nausea, sometimes without. When she first started getting them, scared the heck out of me.

Nowadays when she's going through the phase of that kind of pain, she gets really dizzy with it & her eyes don't focus. So, if you get that next, good chance it's the same progression, I'm guessing.

We've been to the emergency room 3-4-5 times so far, but always come out of it feeling worse rather than better. Haven't found any solutions there yet. Then they send you home telling you if you have any of the following symptoms-come back in. But the symptoms are the same ones she had when she came in & they didn't do anything about, anyhow.

My daughter exactly.....

Gma7938 said:

On top of non-stop pressure in her head, my daughter's pain moves around, it can be stabbing, suddenly worse, etc,...anything and every thing. Docs don't know though if it's from the CM, they say. Hope your bday a a good one despite all of this and you get some relief.

Vonda, I too get really dizzy and my eyes don't focus!! It happens with the pain, but it also happens a lot without it. I hope your daughter is doing okay.

And thank you everyone for all the birthday wishes!!

You and my daughter should talk, Lissa. She's 16, but your symptoms sound so very similar.