Heart Rate

The last couple of days I have noticed that my heart rate is higher than normal, for example:

Sitting: 80+

Standing still: 100

Walking (slowly): 130-140

Normally I don't get up to 100 bpm unless I am working out on my bike. I don't feel an unusual rhythm, just the quick tempo.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I have my pre-op appointment in a week and they added on an EKG, but a week feels like a long time to wait right now.

My heart rate has always been higher than average. It's actually lowered since my surgery but it's completely normal for me to be over 100 just walking around the house. Now when I exercise I top out at around 180 but before surgery it used to get over 200!!! I had several EKGs and they were all normal rhythm just rapid heart rate.

I agree that your EKG will be ok, however, that can be very unnerving. Mine was effected bad enough that I went to the ER (Had chest pain and tightness too). You can call your PCP and see if they want you to come in to be monitored.

Give me a missing limb and a pool of blood! Sometimes what we can't see is the scariest of all!

Yes, I have POTS. Check your blood pressure when you change position, laying down, sitting up and standing. Mine drops and my HR shoots up. Took me forever to be DX. Was admitted several time after passing out and was told I was always dehydrated.

I'm dealing with this right now. My heart rate has been spiking a couple times a day, up to 40 points or so higher than normal. My doc had me wear a holter moniter (heart moniter) for a 24 hr period just to check things out. I don't have the results yet, but POTS is one of the possible causes we discussed. It can definitely be unnerving and a bit scary! Hope you get things figured out, and please keep us updated!