Countdown to surgery

Hey everyone I’m just releasing some stress. Today I had my pre anesthesia assessment for my surgery next friday. They told me I’m having c1 Laminectomy with occipital craniectomy. The Laminectomy was a surprise to me but I trust my doctor. After my consult with him in October we went from surgery in January to December to November 21st. Kind of scary but I have a great support system. Luckily having worked in the hospital I was able to know some preop post op info to make it a little less scary but still someone is cutting into my head. I also have the pleasure or pain depending on how you look at it to know the people going to take care of me I know I’m in good hands from the OR to the medical floor were they will discharge me from. Like I said the people are friends and coworkers and I hope I don’t do anything stupid on the mmedications they put me on I still have to work with these people when I go back to work.

Elisa - don't think that way - about doing something stupid! The nurses know all about how people behave when they're in pain and taking pain meds.

For me - the only thing I did for the first three days was sleep, and wake up long enough to ask for more meds. I found it slightly awkward when someone else had to take me to the shower and help - but maybe you can get a family member to help with that instead of a co-worker. I don't know that I could work with someone that bathed me... but that's me.

You'll be fine. It's rough, but you're an insider! You're going to get special attention! :)

Keep thinking about how much better you're going to feel after recovery, and very little else. It makes it easier.

Stay positive

-Claire

You will do great! They told me I didn't do anything crazy or anything, I was just in and out. I was on a progressive unit for 3 days. I also had the laminectomy (I found out AFTER the procedure! I had given them permission to do what was necessary.) I loved the Dilaudid and would have lived in the hospital for that! It was like a wave of relief! :D But I am almost 3 weeks out and I have almost 95% of my range back, my incision is almost completely healed and the hair is already growing back! The side effects now are still stiffness in the mornings, extremely tired a lot (like, more than before) and moodier than PMS on steroids. :D

Thank you Claire I think every healthcare work feels the same as me when we are in the hospital, I already have the ICU nurses telling me they'll record me acting stupid.(hopefully they're just playing around) I think i'll be fine, acting ok at least.

Rebecca thank you for the prayers everyone helps.

Becky-Kelley I thank you for the post recovery info, it makes me feel better about the recovery. Question for everyone how long post surgery were you able to drive I have people lined upped to take my kids to and from school but I hate being stuck at home. I think that will be hardest my NS told me since I'm a CNA I have to be off work for 8 weeks at least because of the lifting. The 6 weeks post babies always made me stir crazy and that was with a cute newborn at home.

5 days until the surgery and my headaches are acting up I can't take my ibuprofen which surprisingly really helps with the daily headache pain. Today I've had to do Tylenol #3 2x already for the pain and anyone who knows me knows I hate taking anything stronger than 800 ibuprofen. I know i'll be on stronger stuff post surgery but for my daily pains this sucks hopefully my body is only being bad today and behaves the rest of the week until they cut me open to fix me(as my kids say).

Elisa, they are going to take care of you like a bar of gold. It hits home when you work in health care and I know they will all do their very best for you. Do not worry, relax into the process and just rest and know you will be taken care of. Prayers headed to you…

Hugs Jenn

I wasn't able to drive for 6 weeks. I did take daily walks around the block and my husband, parents, and in-laws took me places when I wanted to get out so I wasn't too stir-crazy! Luckily I was able to use the restroom by myself right after surgery (the nurse stayed outside the door the first time to ensure I was ok) and to shower alone the day after surgery so you might not need your coworkers assistance there. It would be terrible awkward to be around people you know but at the same time comforting! At least you aren't having a baby! lol! My cousin is a L&D nurse so her coworkers were present for her baby's birth! haha

Anglyn I was lucky enough that I never worked in L&D but I did work in mother baby where my aunt works and still had a lot of nurses who remembered me. It was nice my aunt got to take care of 2 out my 3 children in the newborn nursery.

Thank you everyone for the prayers.

Rebecca I wish my kids were making jokes I think they are more afraid than me, it doesn't help that my 9 year old is learning the human body right now.