3 weeks post op...recovery going better than I ever imagined

Hi Everyone,

So I'm 3 weeks post op today and I just wanted to share my experience with those anxious about upcoming surgery. I was so scared in the run up to surgery so I hope I can ease some of those worries for other people.

My surgery was 1/28/13 (Monday) and lasted approx 4.5 hours. My herniation was pretty significant at 25mm so I had laminectomy of the C1 and he also did a partial laminectomy of the C2 as well as the decompression. My NS did open the dura and patched this with my own tissue. I was in recovery for about an hour before being moved to ICU for 1 night, followed by 2 nights in a regular room.

The physical therapy team had me up and walking Tuesday morning before I left ICU. I then saw them twice Wednesday, the second time I walked unaided. On Thursday they had me walking up and down stairs.

Pain level was tolerable, I immediately noticed my hearing had improved even though I hadn't noticed a change prior. The most discomfort was in my neck area. They gave me a sheet of exercises to do to strengthen my neck muscles. I was discharged on Thursday morning.

They said I was fine to wash my hair as soon as I got home, so that's the first thing I did. I had my husband in earshot and he had to help wash/dry my hair. I could blow dry the sides but not the incision site.

Thursday & Friday at home I slept a lot, I didn't need any pain relief other than the oxycontin twice a day which I did for a week. I also took valium twice a day for around 10 days. I had staples removed 8 days post op and my surgeon cleared me for driving short distances on local roads with supervision.

I didn't feel comfortable driving until around 15 days post op, but now I feel fine driving local roads without supervision.

At 3 weeks post-op I feel great. The only med I am taking is tylenol and that's just to loosen my neck so I move more freely. They did send me home with hydrocodone but I've not needed to take any.

The incision is healing great, and my hair is already growing over it. I have shoulder length hair and you really can't see anything whether I wear it loose or in a ponytail.

I am pleased to say I have laughed, cried, coughed, sneezed, stood up too fast and not had any of the classic chiari head pain/pressure. I broke down in tears one morning blow drying my hair, because I could do it without any pain. Before surgery I had to lie down after showering because I was in so much pain and I would let my hair air dry because blow drying caused more pain. I still have trouble with word selection and memory, and also some weird feelings in my fingers but my NS says this will improve in time.

I go back for a follow-up at the 3 month mark, and I'm probably going to put some hours in for work next week from home. My commute is 25 miles and a good hour's drive during rush hour so I won't be doing that for a while yet.

Overall I could not have dreamed that recovery would be so easy, and if I'd known I would've only done it sooner!

My children (8 & 4) keep asking if my head hurts when I laugh, I keep telling them no. The look on their faces is magically, I can't wait to enjoy the summer with them bike riding and playing in the yard.

Helen

I'm 3 1/2, almost 4 weeks post op...surgery 1/23. I'm so glad you've had such an awesome recovery. I've had marked pain in the left side of my head mostly, behind my eyes. I just spoke with my dr's office..and they are sending a refill on pain meds. I'm amazed that your pain is so undercontrol. I have the word selection problem as well, and feel better to know I'm not alone in this. I pray your recovery continues to be so amazing! It's like a new lease on life isn't it!

Mmrobinson - sorry that you still suffering with pain. It can only get better! And yes it feels like a completely new lease on life.

Razzle - thanks for your concern. By no means do I think I am wonder woman. My NS cleared me to drive far enough to collect my children from school. I’m not going to go and do the groceries, I’m not walking my dog and I’m not doing housework. I realize I can’t do all of that yet. I’m also not planning on sitting in rush hour traffic on the highway for weeks yet. I know my limitations and I am sticking to them for as long as I need to.

My NS was also quick to tell me that after 2 weeks the chances of a leak are incredibly low unless there have been other complications. My procedure was text book and I had a great surgeon. I know he wouldn’t give me advice that put me in danger.

Thank you Emmaline! I know what you mean - I read so many disturbing accounts of surgery. That’s one of the reasons I put it off for so long.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

It's helpful for those of us that haven't had surgery to hear such a positive experience.

Best of luck!

Thanks Suzy!

I will have my surgery in two weeks and my NS said as soon as I stop taking narcotics for pain then I can drive, be that two days, or two weeks.

So happy you have had a good recovery! Thank you for sharing.

I drove yesterday for the first time. I’m 4 weeks post op. the only issue I ran into was looking over my shoulder when switching lanes. My neck is really stiff! Obviously that is dangerous as I don’t have full range of motion right now. I won’t be driving until that fully returns. I’m so happy your recovering well. :wink:

Amen.. I am so happy for you! I hope my dr (Dr Tew, {second opinion doctor} ) can figure me out and get me to some state of normal again! So happy for you!!

AWESOME!!! That makes me feel so much better I’ve been so super scared. Pain is an issue with me but under control for the most part with meds my huge obstacles are memory loss confusion finding words balance falling numbness tingling slurring words or thinking one thing and other things come out I hope you continue to do well :slight_smile:

Finallyhavedx - I’ve just been driving local roads for the school run. I don’t feel upto highway yet and not going to even attempt it for another couple of weeks yet.

Brandi - my symptoms were similar to what you listed other than I didn’t really suffer any balance issues. It really has helped. My hands still get a weird feeling but only my hands before it was upto my elbow and also my feet. NS said this could take the longest to straighten out maybe upto a year. And I still have the word problem but I have noticed an improvement. I wish you the best of luck now you have your date set!

3 days post op and doing great!!! I’m so glad I did this surgery! My dr is the best!

Just started having pressure today my surgery was Monday. I coughed suddenly and felt like my head was going to explode. I’m kind of worried, I thought pressure should be gone now :frowning:
I’m also very irritable and can’t think too clearly. Don’t know what’s going on or if this is normal?

@helsb83. So happy for you. I’m just at two weeks post-op and this is the best I’ve been in a long time. I went for my follow up today and will go back in about 3 mths as well. I’m happy you are doing well. Just remember your limits.

That’s very normal. I was up vomiting all last night and was so disappointed bc my headache came back. Once my nausea and vomiting was under control, and I was able to rest and relax, things have gotten so much better. I think good quality sleep has a lot to do with it! When I didn’t get any, my symptoms were way worse.

I'm so happy for you! I'm so happy you don't have to deal with major pain meds - sometimes they do more harm than good. Keep working on your exercises, but don't push yourself! You've got this. :)

@Torie Dunn. I felt a little pressure after coughs and sneezes initially but the doctor told me to try to brace for it. It helped when I held my incision site because I thought it would pop but once I knew how to deal with it I was ok. Rest is key!

What a relief this is. Such comfort. I have an appointment with NS#2 on Monday. First one looked at my MRI and wouldn’t touch me. Still no one has used the words Chiari malformation, but the MRI tells the story, right? I’m no doctor and I can see it. I just can’t say how extensive it is, what’s going on with the bones in that area, or what we might be looking at as far as treatment options. But this gives me great peace if he says surgery is the only option. Thanks a million for taking the time to share!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!!! Thank you. I've noticed the pain in my head when I laugh or even talk to loud. I never realized it was Chairi. I am hoping to bear through this though. I don't want another surgery. I don't. But I also cannot ignore this pain. Your comments were very, very, helpful. Thanks for being so real.