Confusion

I have been suffering from vertigo and other symptoms for over a year. I was finally sent for a MRI by an ENT after he could find nothing wrong with my ears. The MRI showed a 4-5 mm Chiari Malformation. I finally had my long awaited appointment with a neurosurgeon yesterday. He said that my Chiari was most likely not the cause of my symptoms and that I needed vestibular rehabilitation therapy because I probably had an inner ear problem. I'm really confused. The ENT said I had no ear problems. I'm not sure if I should try the therapy or get another doctor. I'm limited in my area as to where I can go. Has anyone else had these types of problems? My symptoms seem to be classic Chiari symptoms, and I was sure that it was the source of my problems. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for replying! I live in Northern California and there are not a lot of options for me here. I am thinking of looking into Sacramento or San Francisco. This is all pretty new to me, and I am trying to wrap my mind around all of this information. I'm so glad I found this site!

FixerUpper said:

Hi. I wish I would have seen this before I put my lap top up. I'll try to type on my smart phone. Lol Autocorrect is evil.
Yes. Probably 95% of us have a story just like yours where the chiari was dismissed.
You should check out the link at the top for doctors and see if one is located near you. These are doctors that other members have been to.
You need to find a doctor who specializes in chiari to get accurate information. If they do not regularly treat this, you are likely to get outdated, inaccurate, information.
Also, check out csfinfo.org and the link at the top of this site for understanding chiari.

Hello Another Lisa

Chiari can indeed produce balance issues it is just not understood or studied by medical doctors. Since your vestibular system is fine according to the ENT guy, you might want to considering exercises for primitive reflexes. They can come on with Chiari (among other brain conditions like MS, dementia, concussion, brain injury - they are all similar in that the brain becomes physically stressed and the reflexes emerge) and some affect balance.

I got these exercises from a physical therapist after surgery but was told that these exercises work for pre surgery as well, they just need to be done more regularly. These are not for people who have vestibular problems - you need other exercises for those!

Tonic Labyrinthine

ATNR

STNR (including lateral component)

Hand Supported (more for vision)

Moro/Startle

The above names are primitive reflexes that have a balance components and each one has its corresponding exercise to extinguish. It can take a while to interview and find a physical therapist that is trained in this area. Some places have centers for kids with developmental delays that can address primitive reflexes and may take on adult clients. Ouch! Blow to the self-esteem to be lumped in with kids but Chiari is what it is!

Good luck with the balance issue