Cold/Flu

I've come down with my 3rd Cold in the last 4-6 weeks. As you all know...this makes everything worse:( I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that they get sick more often with Chiari and/or Syringomyelia? I don't remember getting Colds/Flu this often before.

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

My names caroline, i constanly get colds/flus and its hard esp wit cm/sm becoz it makes my aches and pain worst.. Ive never had so many colds/flus in my life as soon as one go's away another one comes. I just try to relax, take some painkillers and not stress too much. I know how hard it is as does everyone hear if u ever need a chat im here.

Love caroline

Thank you Caroline and Christine:) I’m sorry that you both have the same problem, but it helps to know I’m not alone in this. I’ve also noticed that when I’m sick it usually progresses to a sinus infection or Bronchitis. I always seem to get it worse than my friends and family. I guess this just may be another perk to having Chiari…did you sense my sarcasm?

Crystal

I have noticed getting sick more often since onset of Chiari/Syringo. I started taking 1000ui of D3 every day and though I still get sick, it isnt as...bad. Hard to explain.

I have a cough/cold right now, when I cough it is pretty intense. But do it less often. Coughed so hard 2 days ago my right arm now hurts and can't bear any weight at all. So the cough is pretty strong. I also haven't gotten the flu since I started taking it (knock on wood) so far... 2 years influenza free. :)

Hi...

So sorry you are dealing with this issue.

I will share my own experiences..I had surgery a bit over 3 yrs ago...b4 that..I use to get bronchitis and pnemonea (sp) at least 4x a year...I was told it was b/c I smoked ciggarettes....well, we all know smoking is very bad for ones health....I never did quit....

It came to the point where my doctor didn't even both sending me for chest x-rays many times...he could tell just by listening to my lungs and looking at the stuff I was hacking up...I should have take stock out on the anti biotic Levoquuin!!!!LOL

Anyway...I have not been on Levoquin or any other anti biotic since my PFD...I have had a couple of the average cold/flu....but NEVER needed anything to get rid of it......I will go to my grave truly believing all those infections were due to Chiari in some way.

I do plan on TRYING to stop smoking in January!!!!

Peace,

Lori

Christine,

I agree…I don’t know what I would do without my sense of humor. It helps to make things more bearable. Sometime you just have to laugh to keep from crying. I’m glad that we can still find humor in things:)

Whispers,

I just started taking some supplements, including Vitamin D, about a month ago. I haven’t seen much of a difference yet. On the 3rd day of taking them I did have uncontrollable giggles:) My sister kept asking me if I was drunk or something. I said, “No…I’m just high on artificial sunshine.” LOL:)

Lori,

I’m glad to hear that it improves after PFD. I’m sorry to say that I’m a smoker too:( I’ve tried quitting sooo many times! I’m getting an electronic cigarette for Christmas this year, so that will be at least a step in the right direction. I can eventually use it to quit entirely. Even as a smoker, I didn’t get sick this often or as bad prior to my car accident that brought on my Chiari symptoms. Good luck quitting in January! I hope to not be too far behind you.

Crystal

My daughter has Chiari and it seems like she always gets Sinus Infections and when she does get an infection sometimes it takes 2 antibiotics to get rid of it. I had also been wondering if anyone else deals with this!

Heather,

I am so sorry that your daughter is going through this:( It is hard enough for me to deal with it as a 32 year old woman. My heart breaks for you both:( Since I originally posted this, I went back and looked at old discussions. I found that this topic came up a few times. So, it appears that a lot of people with Chiari suffer with more frequent and/or severe colds, flus, sinus infections, bronchitis, etc. It is amazing how much Chiari affects us. I hope your daughter feels better very soon!

Crystal