Chiari, pregnancy and breast cancer

So as many of you well know I have a 20 mm chiari that by some miracle has not caused me enough symptoms to have to have decompression surgery... yet. I am also pregnant (Baby girl will be here july 13th and we cant wait to see her!!!) But the start of our exciting new journey is unfortunately coming as a package deal as I now am battling breast cancer too its so sad, so scary and so hard to stay strong with all these emotions swimming around in my head. I know I can beat this but we are now between a rock and a hard place as I am no longer going to be able to work until after treatment is complete. So this is not only going to be an emotional struggle but a financial one too.

Hi aj, I am really sorry to hear of this. Please focus on your health and using your energy to fight this battle. While I understand the stress of financial struggles, try not to worry (I know that isn't easy) and focus on doing what you can to beat this thing and enjoy your little bundle of joy. I have a wonderful daughter, girls are really special! Please keep us updated as you are able on how you are doing and know we are thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way. Hugs.

What sad news, aj. I hope you have family support, and friends, too, as I expect you will need help. Please draw on all available sources of support. Breast cancer is beatable, and we are wishing you the very best. Please keep us posted, especially about the arrival of your baby girl.

You are in my prayers! I hope you are considering c-section, as I herniated further during childbirth. If not, make sure to use “open-glottal” pushing. I am a Labor and Delivery nurse, and IBCLC, so if you have any needs or questions, let me know. Good luck!

I just read a wonderful article about a woman battling breast cancer during pregnancy. She was even able to breastfeed (carefully) following chemo. I didn’t save the link, but I’m sure a quick Google search would pull it up! It is so exciting and terrifying having Chiari and being pregnant (not to mention breast cancer!) I will say lots of prayers for you!

I wish you and your family well. I will put you in my prayers and positive thoughts. stay positive and know that you have all of is here to support you.

AJ, I am so sorry that you are facing another health challenge ...... but wish you an easy delivery (however she comes) for your daughter and much joy in her arrival for you and your family. You will get through this and your beautiful daughter will be an inspiration for your fight every day. Thinking of you and please come back here any time you need some support. Jules

I will be delivering through csection my nuerologist wouldnt have it any other way.. however they are a little nervous about doing it epidural and might have to do it under general anesthesia have you heard of that before. I will obviously do what ever is best for my baby and will keep going to be here for her

Katie said:

You are in my prayers! I hope you are considering c-section, as I herniated further during childbirth. If not, make sure to use "open-glottal" pushing. I am a Labor and Delivery nurse, and IBCLC, so if you have any needs or questions, let me know. Good luck!

The biggest thing with a general anesthetic is you will miss the actual birth of your baby. This happened with my daughter (severe preeclampsia, she went into a coma) The moment though when she met he daughter for the first time was beautiful and the bonding just as quick......................

With chiari patients a spinal block takes effect more quickly than an epidural and has a higher rate of success than an epidural, but its effects are of limited duration which can require in either case additional medications which make a sleepy baby. A general anesthetic also makes a sleepy baby but the effects are much much shorter term. Its a great option for both you and baby in other words.

The last thing you need is more pressure in your spine.

I can't imagine the sea you are swimming in, but all these things have an amazing way of working out. The initial cancer treatment will pretty much coincide with the 8 - 12 weeks of family leave most new moms take anyway. If your job doesn't provide short term disability, perhaps they can "lay you off" during your treatment so you can collect unemployment. Other jobs allow employees to donate sick leave......

Hasng in there we are all behind you

AJ, I am sorry to hear your difficult news. I will be thinking of you and your child at this time. You can get through this and if ever you need support along the way, please know we are here for you.
Hugs,
Laurie

Hi AJ, I’m sure there is lots of things on your mind, I would just like to offer some advise on your breast cancer treatments, the doctors do not always know the newest studies. It is a good idea to find out the different options before you pick your treatment. I have heard of nanoknife as the newest. I am unsure if you can have it on the national health care. But worth looking in to.

Hi AJ, I wanted to check in and see how you are doing? I know you are facing a tough road but you are TOUGHER! Also, my daughter was born under general (unplanned), I had some delivery complications and this is what was necessary. When I woke up, my beautiful daughter was right beside me, all swaddled and very special. The nurse immediately handed her to me and our bond is strong. Anyway, please know I am thinking of you and wish you the best. Hugs.