Back to Work

I returned to work 8-26-2013 and at that point was not ready, this was the problem as I stated in one of my previous posts. At this poin I am 9 weeks post-op. I am starting to have an increase in pain and pressure at the back of my head again, some of my symptoms have returned such as ringing in the ears, nystagmus, tremors if I get stressed or over work, and dizzy spells once and a while. Not sure how to relay this to my husband because he will tell me that work is to much and I need to slow down, but in todays economy this is not an option. I am unable to take any of my prescribed medications for pain or muscle stiffness while working so that I can keep my mind sharp. As I have told you I am an RN and work can be quite stressful and demanding on the body most of the time. Upon returning to work my neurosurgeon did not give me any type of restrictions so now they have started to mandate me to stay over another 8 hour shift so saying it plainly 16 hours shifts. So now I have to see my neurologist this week and beg for him to give me restrictions. I love my job but it is hard to make it through at times. I have tried tylenol for the pain and muscle stiffness but it does not help me at all. I don't want to have to go off work again because it takes forever for disability to kick in and the possibility of not having a job. Sorry for venting about this. I hope that all of you that have been diagnosed with this condition can find some peace.

Well Melanie, your husband is right, you are doing too much. The double shift is absolutely way, way, way too much at this point. I’m 6 months out and couldn’t do that! Does your supervisor understand what the surgery is that you had done!!! If you don’t have luck with the neurologist putting you on restriction, then go to your PCP. You need to be very frank about what is happening with your head and your symptoms. This is not ok for them to work you like a Grand Canyon donkey just because a piece of paper says you feel fine! You are not fine! You deserve to heal correctly. I imagine this inner fight between showing that you care about your job and honoring your recovery is causing quite a bit if anxiety too, tell them this. Also, for the meds: I take the flexiril at night only (does not affect my sharpness during the day) and I take 800 ibuprophen for pain- Tylenol never helped me at all. It’s ok to put your foot down a bit with these people… I’m glad your hubby has your back on this. Good luck Melanie. Oh, and have you contacted your NS about your returning symptoms?

Jenn

I agree with everyone above.

If all else fails and you cannot get restrictions from your doctors maybe you cab try speaking with your supervisor. Maybe they can give you some sort of modified schedule where you can take more breaks. If you work with doctors and other nurses I should hope they would understand the recovery process. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is ask for help but you must communicate what you need. Yell it from the rooftops "I am not ready yet"...someone will have to listen. The number one priority is yourself I am sorry you are struggling, I wish you all the best.