6 weeks post-op & first day back to work

I'm taking a break at work to type this! Today is my first day back to work and it is beyond difficult!! I'm a secretary and didn't think it would be too hard to come back, but just the fact that I'm sitting upright in a chair with no head support is putting a lot of pressure on my neck and upper back :( I have to get up and down to go to the printer a lot and do things around the office and it makes me dizzy and tired. I have 45 min commute, so I got up at 6:45 am to be at work around 8:30 (it's okay if I'm a few min late), and I had terrible nausea and the pain in my head is just awful - the physical therapist says it's muscle pain - it's not a headache, it's just this stabbing pain, mainly on the left side of my head. I'm not used to waking up until I wake up naturally which is after about 12-13 hours of sleep...so maybe that's why I felt so bad, I only got about 7 hours. I'm getting ready to head home at 1:00...I'll probably go home and sleep until tomorrow!

Hope it gets easier for you. Are you starting back part time? I went back part time at 4 weeks post op and eased my way up to full time at 6 weeks. I'm not sure if you are able to do this but I took a longer lunch for a while to rest for about 30 minutes.

Do you take muscle relaxant? That is the one thing I still take nightly and next month will be one year post op.

Hang in there.

Diana

I'm supposed to be full-time but I just cannot take it - I might call the NS and see if he'll approve half-days, I really don't know if I can handle full days! What are you experiencing at 8 weeks? I'm curious because my NS just says "everyone is different" so I'm clueless if my head pain is surgery-related or if I'm just sleeping wrong, or if I might even have a CSF leak - my NS said it's too soon to do a scan to find out if there's a leak, I only wonder because I have the symptoms, but they could be caused by other things too! I'm very frustrated with my fatigue, the dizziness and the sharp stabbing pains that are mainly on the left side of my head/face. I also experience jaw tightness/pain and the worse my pain is the blurrier my vision is!

It is probably too soon for me, I felt like I had to try though, I'm just so done with being home and "sick"...I have no patience, lol. I have PT tomorrow morning at 9am so I will get to sleep in a little tomorrow and work another half-day. I really can take it easy here at work, I have co-workers to pick up my slack, but there is no where to "rest" which stinks, I really just want to lay my head down :( I will see how I feel tomorrow and call the NS about half days for a week or 2.

Omg, you are amazing. There is no way I will be going back to work until 10weeks after the op!! I work in childcare and on my feet and going all the time, running after the children. No rest for Stacey!!! Good luck to you . :slight_smile: