5 1/2 weeks - a little discouraged

hi Everyone, I am feeling a bit discouraged because I will be going back to work in 2 weeks and I am not sure I'll be ready. I am having pain on the back of my head around the incision area. After being up and about for a while my neck feels weak and wobbly. I don't mind the pain so much as it makes me worry. I will see NS tomorrow for the recheck and see what he says. Anyone have suggestions for questions I should ask him? I really am feeling so much better, but the pain is still frustrating. I also get scared when some symptoms from before surgery show up. The ringing in my ears has improved very much but once in a while it happens. Before surgery I would wake up every morning with a wooshing sound in my ears and a headache. That has happened just a couple of times since surgery. I am pretty much off pain meds, but last night I took 1/2 of the flexeril and 1/2 of the dilaudid so I could sleep. My family is great, but I am afraid people at work will expect me to be 100% - I am in accounts payable. I would love to hear about other people's experiences at this point in recovery and going back to work and dealing with people's expectations. I love reading this site. It makes me feel like I am not alone! thank you!

I wasn’t ready at 5 1/2 weeks. I’m now 4 1/2 months abd I only work 20 hours/week. I think any more would be pushing it for me.

Thanks Patti and Emmaline, I just had my re-check and everything looks good. Instructions are to gradually increase activity, still no bending over, increase lifting to 20 pounds (too much for me), begin PT for neck and balance. Go back to work 1/2 time in 2 weeks, then full time in 3 weeks.

He reviewed my MRI's for signs of tethered cord because I told him about sacral dimple that I hadn't told him about before. I didn't realize it was an issue until I read it on line after surgery. After examining me and checking the MRI records, he was not concerned. Said my cord was not tethered and dimple didn't lead to spine...? I don't quite understand it but if I have any symptoms i will definitely call him. I think everyone should check out tethered cord before surgery......

I know I wasn’t ready in any where near the second week.I agree with Emmaline,I would not have been ready before 6 weeks or more.Hope you have a job that’s not too demanding,take care of yourself.

sorry Lynn, I was confusing, I meant 2 weeks from re-check appointment - that will be 7 1/2 weeks since surgery. : ) How long did it take you to get back to normal?

I had a pretty easy recovery but I still wasn't able to go back to work until 8 weeks. Even at that I wish I'd started at part time because I was so exhausted and my neck would be so achy at the end of the day. It gradually got better and better though over time.

I could have gone back in in 8 weeks if there were no lifting.I have so much pain in my shoulders when sitting too much,I am retired I used to own a small salon and it was more than I was able to do,that was before I had decompression so I had to give it up.It’s a good thing not to have to try to work. I stay busy with taking care of an elderly person and light housework.Take care good luck with your recovery.

Thank you! You take care too. It sounds like you have found the right kind of activity for yourself.

I know from experience that just because you feel okay now, doesn’t mean you should jump in 100%. I overdid it again and again, and paid for it painfully. I’m I think 9 months post op and I still get stiff, wobbly neck feelings with migraines, but it’s soooo much better than before. Hang in there and give yourself all the time you need- and then some. Good luck with recovery!

I love love love your answers. I am definitely going to take it slow. Blessings and hugs to you.