AZ Chiarians

Hi all just getting down to the wire...I was wondering who has had the decompression in AZ and how was the recovery. I know that everyone is different and I get that. We are just trying to find out because I have an appt with a Chiari Center but we were talking and if the surgery is performed there...i will have to stay there until well enough to travel and the truth of the matter is...we cant afford that.

Hi I have a good friend in AZ and she said the neurosurgeons were not hood or knowledgeable and went out of state. Do you have EDSin combo with your Chiari this is so important to find our before surgery. There is a condition seen in EDSers known as CCI craniocervical instability that can mimic symptoms of Chiari and POTS. It is one of the main reasons for failed surgery due to inexperienced neurosurgeons and lack of knowledge of EDS/CCI and knowing to look for those before surgery.

I'm in Arizona and I did have a consult at Barrows here and the neurosurgeon I saw was well reviewed. However, no one was an "expert" so to say. I will tell you that from Phoenix to Denver, we wound up with some crazy cheap plane tickets through Southwest airlines. At my follow up after the surgery there was one flight where I actually had a $30 one way ticket! Also the Chiari center has special places you get cheaper rates to stay at - including one little condo to rent specifically for Chiari patients and their families. It wound up not being too expensive all together and I held on to the receipts for tax deductions the next year. Food for thought. = ) If I can help you or offer more info - feel free to shoot me a message. = )

Oh and I was also able to leave straight from the hospital to the airport so that we didn't incur any additional travel expenses. I even stayed in the hospital longer than originally thought and the airlines switched my ticket dates without any fees due to circumstances.

Thank you so much I sent you a friend request with hopes of messaging you for more infor on how you got the flights and things.

Hi. My son just had decompression surgery at barrows on sept 16. His NS is Dr. Zabramski. We have been very happy with him and the hospital staff was amazing. I would recommend him. My son just turned 18 a couple days before his surgery.

Hi! I am in AZ, too. I am having my first NS appointment with Dr. Nakaji on Dec 10. He is with Barrow as well. Please keep us posted on what you decided. My husband and I can't really afford to travel either, but we are keeping it on the table in case it comes down to that. Keep us posted on your decision, if you don't mind. I would like to know if you find going out of state to be a better option and why.

Best of luck!