Anyone else have a child with Pica? and eats everything except what she is supposed toeat?

Hi I am a new person here,and I need some advice please my daughter was diagnosed with Chiari1 Malformation (severe) and she had decompression surgery in June of 2009,the Dr's seem to think they fixed that problem ,although she does have some delays she is improved a lot since her surgery a couple of yrs.ago,but there is another problem that remains a huge issue for her health and safety and that is the fact that she eats so many things that aren't food such as strings,pieces of her toys and this afternoon pieces out of the cushioning on the door of my car which upsets me very much! I don't want to be angry with her ,but I cannot help feeling that way and feeling so frustrated that I cannot get her to stop doing this no matter what I do,and explaining why she shouldn't do it doesn't seem to help at all what should I do?any advice would be greatly appreciated please???Has anyone else here had to deal with this and how did you resolve this issue?.

I have a close friend whose daughter does the same thing. Have you talked to her PCP about this? If not you should and ask for a therapist in our area that deals with unusual eatting habits. Her behavior can be helped. I am sorry you have so much on your plate. Please know everyone here is wonderful and very knowledgeable about CM. Please know you aren't alone.

Hope this helps,

Tracy Z.

TracyZ said:

I have a close friend whose daughter does the same thing. Have you talked to her PCP about this? If not you should and ask for a therapist in our area that deals with unusual eatting habits. Her behavior can be helped. I am sorry you have so much on your plate. Please know everyone here is wonderful and very knowledgeable about CM. Please know you aren't alone.

Hope this helps,

Tracy Z.

yes I have and my daughter is seeing psychologist but it is too soon to tell if it will help I sure hope it does thanks for your support and God Bless!