After surgery

Question! I have had my decompression surgery 7 weeks ago. My neurosurgeon has not told me of anything that I won’t ever be able to do again such as amusement park rides volleyball ect… Anyone have any answers?

Hi, Andrea. I don’t know there is a standard answer. I think it is highly individual and based on how well you recover from surgery. I have heard of issues with flying in general with Chiari. You may want to try a search related to “flying”. Hopefully others will share experiences as well.
Hugs,
Laurie

My consultant was of the opinion I should gradually increase my activities an listen to my body, pain in back of my head or upper back told me if I shouldn’t do it, this guided me re running about playing with my 4 year old, what to do and what to avoid( eg after picking her up and swinging her in my arms I suffered). Told me no high impact sports, trampoline, ski,rugby etc thats sure to aggravate it. Take it gentle and do a little more each week and you will get there. But don’t expect too much. I found things with a lot of head turning aggravates it, long drives in busy areas or swimming bother me. I was not told do not fly, I think if you have a shunt you might have flying issues.
Alisonx

My surgeon said I can fly now at 7 weeks post op. But other than that didn’t tell me anything I shouldn’t do. Thanks for the insight girls. Greatly appreciated! Andrea

Andrea, thanks for this post. My husband (Bowler) also was not given any info on any of this either. It is good to see what others were told. My husband is 3.5 weeks out of surgery and we are so clueless. We joined this site to learn. Wishing you the best in your recovery

How can we go into such a serious surgery and be left in the dark by our neurosurgeon… Mine just seems like he doesn’t have enough time to explain things to me. It’s very important for us to know what we shouldn’t do post op!

Hi Andrea, I was decompressed almost 4 weeks ago, from reading that i've done there are things that you shoud'nt do. Not to pull you from this sit but I've joined many support groups on facebook, If you can there is one called Spirit Fighters they have good links for before and after. I'm not computer savoy or facebook for that mater to send over the links if you need help message me.