3 weeks post op. Feedback needed!

Hi guys,

i had my decompression surgery done 3 weeks ago. It was an uneventful, easy surgery done by Dr. oro in CO. after flying back to HI last week after 2 weeks in CO. all my symptoms came back. The nurse said this might happen due to the pressure and humidity and elevation changes. I know everyone experiences recovery differently. i am truly counting my blessings because I am only having my typical muscle weakness, fatigue, malaise and i just want to lie around. no headaches, etc. I never had them. I feel like I did before the surgery- no worse really. My question has to do with exercise at this time of recovery. I was told I should walk, walk, walk. But my body says to sleep, sleep and eat. Has anyone had experience with this before?? What did you do? I don't want to push it and fall back, but I also am wondering if my inactivity is causing me to feel more lethargic. Also, regarding lifting heavy things-- why is this a no no? Is it because of the neck muscles might not hadle the load, or could you do more dammage?

Thanks for your help!

Listen to your body, if it says rest, rest. You should not be trying to take long walks. When I was 3 weeks post-op, I would walk to the end of the driveway to get the paper and later to get the mail. I took frequent naps. Your body is trying to heal and its needs the energy for that. Eat plenty of protein and calcium rich foods, plenty of fruits and veges too. You shouldn't lift until your doctor releases you to. There are internal stitches and such that shouldn't be stressed while they heal. I am 3 months post and still fatigue easy. Take care.

Hi...

Marybs gave you the best advice in my opinion..listen to your body. It takes time to recover from such an operation. Be kind to yourself!!

Lori