10 days postoperative

My daughter Brianna is 10 days post op and doing great. A little warning for those in line for surgery: you may feel pretty good the 1st 2 days post op but man when they take the morphine away, reality sets in. Your body is getting over the initial shock and begins healing. The 3rd day is prob the worst day but hang in there because it gets better. Against my wishes, my daughter was up and dancing at our Christmas party 7 days post op. She paid the price the next day.
Her incision is looking great so far. Dissolvable stitches are dissolving. Her incision is not very big at all. Her NS did such a wonderful job. She does still have neck pain but that’s to be expected. They did after all cut through her neck muscles. She has had a headache here and there but I think that’s normal. The NS said we won’t know if the surgery was a success until we have some months under our belt but I’m optimistic. Would you believe this girl asked for vintage Barbie roller skates for Christmas?? Her NS said “she can have them, she just can’t use them”. Lol I hope she’ll be ready to go back to school on Jan 3rd.

Side note: our NS did NOT use a patch on the dura. Instead he used a Japanese technique where he scored (slit) the dura with a scalpel, he also cut all those little things that enable the dura to hold tight. This was simply to allow the dura to naturally stretch on its own. It’s a much less invasive method and I think that’s why she’s done so good. A lot of people have problems rejecting the dura patch. Something to ask your surgeon about.

I did not have to have Morphine, I think I'm glad I didn't. My NS puts in a 36 hour nerve block so I had been warned that the pain would be horrible after that. Honestly, it was there but no as horrible as I had anticipated. I did/do have oral pain meds. In ICU, they gave them to me as I requested them. In the "regular" room, they almost pushed them. I still only take them as I need them. I was also given a muscle relaxer at the hospital and to bring home. I do use that at night to help me sleep. They definitely knock me out.

Glad she is doing so well and will be able to go back to school. I'm not scheduled to go back to work until January 30th. My NS said to expect 4 - 6 weeks at home, and full range of motion in my neck not back for 3 - 6 months.

Wow a 36 hour nerve block sounds great! My daughter is (thank goodness) not taking any pain meds. I have noticed a static change in her headaches. They used to be everyday but I think she’s only had 3 in the last 11 days and they weren’t very bad. Neck soreness is her biggest issue. Glad to see you’re getting along good.

Valaree said:

I did not have to have Morphine, I think I’m glad I didn’t. My NS puts in a 36 hour nerve block so I had been warned that the pain would be horrible after that. Honestly, it was there but no as horrible as I had anticipated. I did/do have oral pain meds. In ICU, they gave them to me as I requested them. In the “regular” room, they almost pushed them. I still only take them as I need them. I was also given a muscle relaxer at the hospital and to bring home. I do use that at night to help me sleep. They definitely knock me out.

Glad she is doing so well and will be able to go back to school. I’m not scheduled to go back to work until January 30th. My NS said to expect 4 - 6 weeks at home, and full range of motion in my neck not back for 3 - 6 months.