10 days post op

I had my surgery on December 16th. The NS said that I definitely needed the surgery. My skull had formed a hook at the bottom and was pushing into the brain worse than he released. After getting rid of that hook and releasing a "band" the CSF started blossom through my brain. He told my husband that I would be a "happy girl." My NS believes in putting his patients in ICU for at least the first 24 hours. 24 hours after surgery, my orders were in to move me to the neuro/surgery floor of the hospital, however a bed on that floor did not become available until Monday the 19th. I got to spend 3 1/2 days in surgical ICU under awesome care. I really believe it helped the first part of my recovery. I was going to be released on Tuesday the 20, but my blood pressure bottomed out and I passed out so I got to stay another day under medical supervision. I have been home since the 21st and have been pampered ever since. I had to make an impromptu trip back to the NS when there appeared to be blood seeping through my dressing. Thankfully it was just some glue that seeped out. Yes, I said GLUE. I was told that I have over 200 internal stitches, but to close the skin, they chose the glue. I just wish we could figure out a way to wash my hair! It is making me crazy! I am truly thankful to have one of the world's best, Dr. Arnold Menezes, in my state. His staff and the medical staff at the hospital have been awesome. Of course, I'm very thankful for the constant support of my husband and boys and the rest of my family. They are helping my recovery process go as smooth as possible.

HI VALAREE:

So good to hear from you...sounds like things are going very well..I am so happy that you are being pampered at home.

Take this time to relax and let your body heal.

Keep us posted on your recovery.

Peace,

Lori

Yay to being pampered!!!!! It makes me happy to hear when people were blessed with wonderful medical staff and a supportive family. There is truly nothing better then that when going through this process : )

Hi Valaree. My daughter had her surgery on the 17th. It’s very interesting to hear of the different techniques that dr’s use. My daughter has 18 dissolvable stitches. She’s supposed to wash her hair everyday with baby shampoo. She does not have a dura patch and her incision is only about 4 1/2inches long. When she puts her hair down you cant even tell that he shaved anything. Her NS was very conservative. I feel so bad for you not being able to wash your hair. I thought we would be going through the same thing. I was shocked when he said to wash everyday with baby shampoo, let it dry, then apply bedadine. Not sure that I spelled that right.
How long is your incision? Do you have a dura patch? Was your doctor conservative on the amount of hair he shaved? Have you had any headaches? I’m curious to see what your answers are.

Tonya,

I have been told that my incision is about six inches long. I did have a chunk of hair shaved, he left about an inch behind each ear and it goes from my neck up about 4 - 6 inches. I have shoulder length hair (for now) that does cover th bandages very well. However, I will be cutting it before returning to work. I'll need to do something as the hair starts growing out, just to even things out a bit. That is just my personal opinion anyway. :) I did not have to have the dura patch, as the doctor first thought he would have to do. He was completely satisfied with the way the CSF started flowing after the "band" was cut and the hook in the skull was removed.

I had one "good" headache last night. That was my first post op, some Tylenol then later one of my pain pills took care of it though. I'm surprised your daughter is able to wash her hair. When I was in ICU, the night nurse did a bed bath during the night. She put some special hair washing cap on my head but was very careful not to get the incision wet. She said the doctor would be furious if it were to get wet. I have heard to use baby shampoo as well. I know others have washed their hair, so I might brave it yet today or tomorrow, but will have to have help of course so we don't get the incision wet.

I hope your daughter is doing well. I spend quite a bit of time in my recliner, but do eat meals at the table with my family and take what my husband refers to as "tours" around my house. Just to get me up and exercising. Today we mastered the stairs to the family room in the basement!

Good luck to your daughter as she recovers!

Tonya J. said:

Hi Valaree. My daughter had her surgery on the 17th. It's very interesting to hear of the different techniques that dr's use. My daughter has 18 dissolvable stitches. She's supposed to wash her hair everyday with baby shampoo. She does not have a dura patch and her incision is only about 4 1/2inches long. When she puts her hair down you cant even tell that he shaved anything. Her NS was very conservative. I feel so bad for you not being able to wash your hair. I thought we would be going through the same thing. I was shocked when he said to wash everyday with baby shampoo, let it dry, then apply bedadine. Not sure that I spelled that right.
How long is your incision? Do you have a dura patch? Was your doctor conservative on the amount of hair he shaved? Have you had any headaches? I'm curious to see what your answers are.

I was able to wash my hair on day 3 and every day after that. I had sutures that were taken out 2 weeks later.