Surgery and post op

I am having surgery soon and i'd like some information on what to expect post op, and during the first few weeks of recovery. Thanks.

For me, I wanted the area that I would be sitting at the most stocked with stuff I needed so I didn’t need to get up every 5 minutes (for me it was actually the pull out couch in our bonus room; that’s where our biggest tv is!). I pre-made that bed before we left for the hospital and stocked it with books, magazines, Chapstick, and hand lotion. Also my laptop and cell phone charger. Garbage can and kleenex (though you may not be allowed to blow your nose, so it might just be for sad movies!). This stuff sounds simple but when I first came home I found that I was getting up every 5 minutes to get this stuff and it wore md out. So, stock your “space” is my advice. You’ll more than likely just want to rest and nap.

How long before you can wash your hair? :wink:

I believe each doctor’s instructions are different. I have heard some people say 2 weeks, but my doctor let me was mine as soon as I got home from the hospital. So, I ended up washing my hair on the 5th day after surgery.

I don’t have staples, so I don’t know if that makes a difference. I just have glue and dissolvable stitches at my incision site.

My doctor let me wash my hair the very next day with mild shampoo. I had the glue, not staples.

Finallyhavedx! I have my surgery at the end of this month - my NS has told me that the nurses will help me wash my hair before leaving the hospital - he plans on using staples. I hope this helps