Should my daughter have an MRI if she hasn't had symptoms

My neuro suggested I have my kids checked to see if they have CM also. I know my son doesn’t because he has had multiple brain MRIs that did not show a herniation. My daughter is 12 and hasn’t had any symptoms. Should she have an MRI ?

Why would your neuro want her to have an MRI? Did they say why they thought it is necessary?

Usually they don't recommend getting MRI's unless the patient is symptomatic. Just make sure you are familiar with allll the symptoms of CM. Most symptoms are obvious during the day but there are a lot of symptoms that have to do with sleep. If she hasn't been acting weird or hasn't said that she feels like something is wrong... most doctors would not order an MRI if there is no issue. Not enough is known about Chiari yet for preventative care to become popular.

She said that it was to be sure that contact sports were safe for her to play. I played years of competitive soccer and even at the collegiate level. I have had 2 concussions and headed countless balls. I can only wonder if things would be better if I didn’t damage my head and neck in this way.

mommy.of.two.5483 said:

Why would your neuro want her to have an MRI? Did they say why they thought it is necessary?

I would still say no. Nobody in my family has this condition except for me, so I am not convinced enough that just because I had it and was symptomatic one of my kids will be. If they start showing symptoms, then have them checked, but I wouldn't want either of my kids to worry about if/when symptoms will start if they show anything on an MRI. If this were the case with the contact sports, anyone who plays should be checked, not just people who know of the condition.