Children

I have an 11 yr old girl I want to get her check but we are on state insurance and they wont pay for it unless a doctor orders it. I have tried going through our PCP but she can't do it or won't. I have been told by many that this is not passed on in the family. But from what have been reading no one really knows how or why this happens. Waiting to see if she has the same problem or not is upsetting I know there is not a lot I could do if I did know but I still want to know

This crosses my mind alot as I have a 10 and 14 year old. I decided that I did not want to know and would take them to the doc if they complained of symptoms. I think for myself it would be worse if I knew they had it because I would be waiting for them to start having headaches or some odd symptom. So I have hoped for the best. Just recently my son(14) complained of a pain in the back of his head so I immediately made an appt. his MRI showed no sign of him having it. It’s hard either way.

-Sarah

In my practice, I do what the above mothers have expressed. An asymptomatic chiari requires no treatment. Having that data should not alter their lives. However, if there is a first degree relative(parent, child, sibling) with a Chiari, there is a slightly higher incidence of Chiari in that patient.

Like with all chiaris, treatment is symptomatic. We don't know enough about Chiaris to know what may casue someone to become symptomatic. The goal is to have your child lead a normal life. If they have symptoms referrable to a Chiari, have a low threshold to image them.

I really don't see that as a difficult choice, just common sense. If there are problem, look for a solution. If there aren't any problems, any additional data won't change things.

I hope this sets your mind at ease(at least slightly).

Thank you everyone the advise you gave made me rethink this and I rather keep an eye out and not worry about things that are not a problem. She has a heart murmer sp so I get a little scared.