My daughter - Katrina (oldest)

Just got back from the pediatrician with Katrina. Doc said she has many symptoms of Chiari. He is scheduling the MRI. Anyone with a child (Katrina is 8)already diagnosed, spare some time to chat to help me explain it to her if it is positive for CM. Also maybe a Q&A n some symptoms she has been experiencing. I am open.

hi im sharon from england, i have just been recently diagnosed with chiari and i am waiting further scans, Whatsymtons does your little girl have? like you i am confused and worried dont know what is at the end of the tunnel. Ihave a little boy of 6 years old who needs his mummy mobile. I found out by a waterpark accident on holiday in august last year. I have been so poorly with all kinds of symptons ever since,

Hi Sharon,

Like you I have recently been diagnosed. It was a possible diagnosis after Thanksgiving and the neurologist giving me the results over the phone. Was scared until I got the MRI reports and started doing my own research, then got scared even more, Finally last Thursday (12 Jan 12), the diagnosis was confirmed by a neurosurgeon. Anyhow she sees the battles that I go through daily and as I said all she wants is her daddy back. Then today at her pediatrician when he stated she might have it she bottled it up like a little trooper went to school and broke when she came home.

Some of the symptoms she has are severe headaches some daily , has trouble feeling in her pelvic area (which leads to embarrassing problems for a school aged child), light and sound sensitivity,ringing in her ears, numbness, dizziness, pain and shocking in her limbs usually legs sometime both arms and legs, chest pains, difficulty in school with focusing and concentrating (doing homework is a nightmare if she is having a bad day), and some more. Like you I am confused because I am learning for myself and now have the fear of protecting my child and seeing that some results aren't so good. With my diagnosis I can live with it cause I know I have done some things in my life that I am very proud of, though I wish I still would be able to do more. Maybe one day I will be able to more. For her though being so young, it scares me cause she has dreams and aspirations that I will NOT diminish but encourage her to her full potential just as any parent would do.

I hope all goes well with you. stay strong.

sharon kenny said:

hi im sharon from england, i have just been recently diagnosed with chiari and i am waiting further scans, Whatsymtons does your little girl have? like you i am confused and worried dont know what is at the end of the tunnel. Ihave a little boy of 6 years old who needs his mummy mobile. I found out by a waterpark accident on holiday in august last year. I have been so poorly with all kinds of symptons ever since,