Recovery tips for caregivers

hey I am a young adult female at home recovering from decompression surgery. Parents are having trouble and seem a little jealous watching me sit here and recover and get rest. Lots of screaming, little understanding. Anyone know of a good website or resources or tips on what to expect from me when I just got out o f the freaking hospital? It's enough to deal with, with the pain, the pain meds effects, low energy, I can't manage having to entertain my parents all the time and do stuff I just need rest. thanks.

Hi, warrior. I’m sorry to hear this. It seems as if they are not understanding the level of support you need post-op. I don’t presently have a resource other than to suggest you search past discussions and maybe print out relatable discussions for them. I will see what I can find also in the meantime. If it is an option for you, you may want to also consider staying with a more supportive friend or family member. I know stress should be kept to a minimum for sake of easier recovery. Hopefully others will share experiences as well.

Hugs,

Laurie

Oh I also thought you could either join yourself or mention our FB Caregiver Support Community to your parents, so they may join. There are sure to be resources there.

Here’s the link for you-
https://m.facebook.com/groups/caregiversupportcommunity/

My boyfriend after my surgery expected ridiculous things from me after my surgeries last year. I had the C3 nerves on both sides cut out and had the decompression. Came home on wednesday and that friday he wanted me to ride in a car 3 hrs and then go for a 12 miles canoe trip then ride another 3 hrs home....i said it wasnt a good idea, he got mad

and kept asking me to go and I told him i couldnt and for him to go.

what i did was have a table next to me with drinks, snacks, tissues, books, remotes, my meds ect.. anything else you need on it so i didnt have to ask anyone to go get me stuff every few minutes. also that would maybe keep them away and let you get rest and heal.

thank you. i just feel like i am going to get worse in this environment. it's so unfair. I got freaking brain surgery and they're just screaming at me all the time, going against my doc's advice. thinking of gettin to a DV shelter if this continues it is getting abusive.

warrior, Pease feel free to call our crisis line for guidance also, 1-800-273-TALK. They can help direct you to resources as well. We have an abuse hotline also, 1-800-799-7233 or you can visit,

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/kind-hearted-woman/resources.html

Laurie

warriorkitten said:

thank you. i just feel like i am going to get worse in this environment. it's so unfair. I got freaking brain surgery and they're just screaming at me all the time, going against my doc's advice. thinking of gettin to a DV shelter if this continues it is getting abusive.