Recovery Post Op

Hello everyone,

I will be having a revision surgery soon and I was wondering if any one is willing to share how long you had been out on recovery. I work full time - can barely make it through the week though.

With my initial decompression I was out on medical disability for 8 weeks. In hind-side, I am positive I returned to early. I believed what the medical experts said. I was told I was "cured", and here I am again. This time I will be listening more to ME. Thanks for your input.

Best,

Jenny

I've had at least 4 revisions-and for three of them I was outta the hospital the next day. Back at work the following week. But let your body tell you when you should go back-don't push yourself because you'll only end up doing more harm than good.;

Hello Jenny,
My first question is what is revision surgery? Lol

Sorry, I’m still trying to learn all of the terms many people use; “Chiarians” as I’ve learned they’re called.

However I give it to you for returning to work after 8 weeks, I’ve read other online forums and posts I’ve found on Google where people have stated that even 6 months to as much as a year later after their decompression surgery, they still didn’t feel as though they were ready to return to work.
I know everyone is different and handles surgery and pain very differently.

Out of my own curiosity, when you did return to work was your incision fully healed? Had the strength in your neck returned? Were you pain free?

I’m still in the very early stages of recovery- my operation was last Wednesday; I still have a lot of difficulty holding my head up, and still in a lot of pain. My stitches aren’t to be removed until next Wednesday, so I won’t know until then if that is healing properly and is healthy.

I’m only asking these questions because I am hoping to get a general idea of how long I’ll be feeling so weak and exhausted.

Thank you, and hopefully I can help with your question once I learn more on this “revision”

I've had one decompression surgery. My surgery was in February (2003), and I'm a teacher, so I didn't return to work until the next Fall. I think I would have been ready to go back to work after 3 months or so though. Everyone is different. And if there's one big thing I've learned in all of this . . . it's to listen to myself. Doctors aren't always right.

Thank you Bulbous for responding and I will certainly listen to my body and how I am responding.

Best,

Jenny

Bulbous said:

I've had at least 4 revisions-and for three of them I was outta the hospital the next day. Back at work the following week. But let your body tell you when you should go back-don't push yourself because you'll only end up doing more harm than good.;

Claudia said:

I've had one decompression surgery. My surgery was in February (2003), and I'm a teacher, so I didn't return to work until the next Fall. I think I would have been ready to go back to work after 3 months or so though. Everyone is different. And if there's one big thing I've learned in all of this . . . it's to listen to myself. Doctors aren't always right.

You sure are correct Claudia,

I most certainly feel that I returned much to early to work when I had my decompression. It won't happen again. I have a great advocate who is my husband and he already told me that he won't allow anyone to convince me to return to work if he doesn't agree. I tend to prioritize work instead of my health, which is horrible I know, and as he often tells me, " we are all dispensable and replaceable" and work will continue with me or without me. I think he's frustrated because he see's firsthand the toll work is taking on me. Thank you for your response.

Best,

Jenny

Kayla said:

Hello Jenny,
My first question is what is revision surgery? Lol

Sorry, I'm still trying to learn all of the terms many people use; "Chiarians" as I've learned they're called.

However I give it to you for returning to work after 8 weeks, I've read other online forums and posts I've found on Google where people have stated that even 6 months to as much as a year later after their decompression surgery, they still didn't feel as though they were ready to return to work.
I know everyone is different and handles surgery and pain very differently.

Out of my own curiosity, when you did return to work was your incision fully healed? Had the strength in your neck returned? Were you pain free?

I'm still in the very early stages of recovery- my operation was last Wednesday; I still have a lot of difficulty holding my head up, and still in a lot of pain. My stitches aren't to be removed until next Wednesday, so I won't know until then if that is healing properly and is healthy.

I'm only asking these questions because I am hoping to get a general idea of how long I'll be feeling so weak and exhausted.

Thank you, and hopefully I can help with your question once I learn more on this "revision"
Hello Kayla,
My incision was almost healed when I returned, I just had a few dissoluble stitches remaining, however to date, it still feels tender to the touch and somewhat numb. To date I am not pain free and my neck hurts often - the pain is different though. I've read that some people go to physical therapy and it has helped them. You may want to consider asking your doctor, maybe you can go to physical therapy. In hind-side, I wish I would have insisted that I have physical therapy.
I have excess CSF fluid at the base of my cerebellum, which is causing discomfort and pain. This is due to the size of the "opening" that was done to provide my cerebellum with more room. The revision will consist of a small titanium plate placed to cover some of the opening. They will have to open up the incision once again. I'm still wondering if anyone in this group has had this done? Anyone care to share and elaborate?
Hope this helps.
Best,
Jenny

Hi,
I went for the revision surgery and I am doing really good. It took 8 weeks to recover after the surgery. I had severe headache for 2 weeks and it vanished all of a sudden. I am continuously under physical therapy and it is helping me a lot. Meditation is helping me to be pain free. All the best!!!

Hello Deep1980,

Thank you for responding. I kinda gave up logging in for responses because it does not seem that many people are online posting, reading and responding to questions. My apologies. I thank you for your insight and I will have to consider physical therapy after my revision June 29th. Take care.

Jenny