For those that have had decompression surgery

Is it too unrealistic to think I might be able to return to work 3 weeks after surgery. The dura will be opened and a tendon from my leg will be used to cover it and C1-C2 laminectomy will also be done. I don't have short term disability insurance and little time saved up I can use, so I will only be getting paid for the first 2 weeks im out. I work at a desk doing paperwork and such so its not very hard work.

You know I think it all depends on ones pain tolerance and how they (their body) handles surgery ect... Had I NOT had the problems that I did, I think that I would have been able too.. I think it also depends on you mind set. Some people (such as my husband) don't do well with illnesses or surgeries and there mind tends to be there biggest enemy.. When he had his tonsils out, he was in bed NO JOKE for 2 weeks. He didn't hardly eat anything and lost a lot of weight and finally, I stopped waiting on him hand and foot and told him it was time he get his butt out of bed...Needless to say he was upset and it took him a couple more days and being super thirsty (and me not making sure he is hydrated) for him to get up and do something for himself.. So he is a prime example of someone who allows self pity take over his life... My 5yr old had her tonsils out and was eating a cheeseburger that night for supper!! I know they say kids are more resilient that adults, but come on, 2wks LOL

The only reason I tell you this is because I really think it is a mind of matter thing when it comes to chiari. MOST of us are very good at it by now and are still able to function through the pain, dizziness, ect.

So all in all I think that if your surgery goes smoothly with no complications and during that 3 weeks you DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to allow yourself to heal as much as possible during that time, I think it is possible!!!

Good luck!!

Jen

My advice would be to listen to your body and your surgeon. My neurosurgeon ddid not open the dura but I had surgery for the chiari and for basilar invagination and cervical fusion using harvested ribs from my back. I dont' think that I would have wanted to or would have had the strength to go to work three weeks after surgery. I actually did a whole lot of sleeping for about five weeks. I didn't have a lot of pain in my neck or head but a lot of it in my back at the rib site. I was very tired for awhile. I would think a minimum of six weeks would be more realistic. I don't have any medical experience but I know from my own surgery that the body needs time to reccover, so, three weeks seems kind of soon to me. Having said that, I do understand that we have to do what we have to do based on our own personal needs and financial situation. We all react differently to surgery and recover at our own speed. I just hope you won't have to go back to work so soon and will be able to allow yourself a little more time to recover.

Hugs

Shirley

Thank you everyone, I just didnt want to get my hopes up of returning after 3 weeks, if it was not probable.

Poptart, my surgeon said he is not cutting the muscles, he will push them to the sides, is that normal?

I returned to a desk job three weeks following surgery but it was hard and I was only able to do half days. I have a high pain tolerance so though it is highly unusual for anyone to go back so early, I was able to. I didn't work full days till 6 weeks after surgery.

Our daughter Julia is 10, she had her decompression c1 laminectomy and duraplasty done on 5/15. She is going back to neurosrg on 5/30 and will be back in school for half days starting 5/31- thats 16 days. Everyone is different- listen to your body. Julia has been on only tylenol the past two days, not complaining of pain just stiffness and still smiles when she coughs or sneezes because it does not hurt anymore! all the best xoxo Nicole!

My NS said the same thing. He said he will be pulling my neck muscles off to the side…He won’t actually cut through the muscles. I’m not sure if this is how it’s always done though. I haven’t had surgery yet…Mine is scheduled for June 28th. From what I’ve read and heard from others, 3 weeks is probably too soon to return to work. But, everyone is different. I would wait and see how you feel at that point.

jencooper0217 said:

Thank you everyone, I just didnt want to get my hopes up of returning after 3 weeks, if it was not probable.

Poptart, my surgeon said he is not cutting the muscles, he will push them to the sides, is that normal?

My recovery went very smoothly. At 3 weeks, I was up and around going stir crazy. I worked on some scrapbooking because I couldn't lift anything. I was able to return to work part time at 4 weeks and full time at 6 weeks. The NS office was surprised when I asked for a release at 4 weeks and didn't need physical therapy. I am a Director of Accounting so I have a desk job.

Everyone reacts so differently to surgery. I was prepared for the worst going into surgery after reading numerous surgery stories so I was pleasently surprised at how smooth recovery went.

I hope your recovery is very smooth because the money worries can cause a lot of stress.

Good Luck!

Diana

I went back to work at 6 weeks and have regretted it ever since. I was beyond exhausted and driving was scary as hell because I couldn't turn my head much. My muscles were definitely cut.

Even if they are pushing aside muscles and other parts, you"ll still have pain. But it varies from person to person how bad or how long to recover. It's good that you don't have a really physical job, but remember to get up and move a bit and don't sit for extended times, which is also bad for you. Don't over-do it, and be very aware of signs of infection etc. Happy recovery! I hope it goes quickly!

jencooper0217 said: