Question for the Girls! :)

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering do your symptoms seem worse right before your menstrual period?? I was in terrible pain (headache, neck and back) the day before mine. I was just recently dx and I'm not sure if this is just a funny coincidence.

I have read that it can. I bumped my endometrial ablation surgery back to have my decompression surgery done first. Makes me think it can cause endometrial type problems.

I avoid salt and eating heavy meals that time of the month. Salt pulls in extra fluid into your system and that seems to cause vertigo for me especially at night. Advil and ice across my shoulder blades and neck seem to decrease symptoms for me. Hope you find relief. Mary

From what I have experienced, yes symptoms are worse. Since surgery in Sept, the only symptom I had around this time was a migraine. Which is better than having all the vertigo, brain fog and vision issues.

Diana

OMG yes when Chiari was hitting me hard---my period would drive me mad. Since my decompression things have toned down emencely! dont usually get those bad awful cramps anymore either- ya know the ones that just about make you want to roll up in the fetal position and cllimb back into bed for 7 days.

I definitely feel even worse near my time of the month. I had a Laparatomy for stage 4 Endometriosis in July 2010, because my doctor thought that it was the root of all my problems. Needless to say, the surgery didn’t help my pain. I wasn’t diagnosed with Chiari and Syringomyelia until about 3 months after the Endometriosis surgery. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Mine always get worse around then. So yeah. Most likely

Lilly,

My symptoms were always worse right around my menstrual period. I never really asked my doctor about it, as I had a short period between diagnosis and surgery, but would be interested to know their answer.

Hope you're feeling better!

Katrina

I had a hysterectomy when I was 27 because my period's were so severe, but in reading the symptoms of Chiari I found that it does make your periods worse, I sure wish I had known then why they were so bad!! Having the hysterectomy was no joke. I also was diagnosed with IBS, which is on the symptom list too. Hope you find a way to feel better.

Pam

Yes. I didn't realize it for some time. Last year I had a hysterectomy. I still have my ovaries, so I actually still cycle & even still, my headaches & many other symptoms like you mentioned seem to worsen during that time. Just another wonderful 'blessing' of womanhood, I suppose. :o/ Be well.

Melissa