Puesdomeningcele and low back pain

Has anyone with a pusedo experienced back pain? dont know if its this or from all the LP,s and epidural blood patch? Also cant lie on the back of my head,cant put any pressure on the back if I do it gets so painful.Has anyone else had this? Thanks Denise x

Hi Denise,

I do not have a psuedo, but have had many LP's. It really sounds like your blood patch didn't work. Did they tell you to drink caffeinated beverages? I honestly think you should call the NS on call. Please don't suffer when you may just need another blood patch. I know several people that have had to get another patch . I really hope you feel better.

Hi Tracy,thanks for your reply.Im having a dura graft repair on the 3rd oct,should of had it done in June but the NS changed his mind and opted for a blood patch?! didnt work so Im now having the surgery.The NS left the dura open during the decompression and thats where the leak is and now the cyst has formed,Have you heard of this before happening to anyone else?

Thanks Denise xx

Hi Denise,

I do have pseudo cerebri and intracranial hypertension. I had a VP shunt put in 6 mos after my decompression since the CSF was not flowing properly and pooling up. I have felt much better after the shunt was placed. I'm glad that you are getting something done in a few weeks, but I think I would call my doctor and see if you can get in sooner or if you need another blood patch. Your back pain could be from all the LPs or muscle spasms from not being able to lay in a relaxed position. I cannot lay on the back of my head either without feeling extreme pressure. Please call and get checked out:)

Actually we have had several Members that have had the same thing happen in the past few weeks. Two of them were children. I had a CSF leak that turned in Chemical Meningitis, but that was from Cranial Nerve Decompression Surgery. They used a cadavere's pericardium in my duraplasty. I didn't have any issues with my CM surgeries other than it was so extensive. I know you must be miserable. I am really sorry. Maybe you should call & tell your NS you can't wait until the 3rd. I don't see how you have made it this long.

Hi Carla,thank you for relpying.Did they drain your puesdo? they have said about blood patch after the dura graft repair if Iam still suffering low pressure.My MRI showed no flow through the cervico medullary junction and poor flow at the svlivis duct but the NS hasnt said about a shunt?! which I dont understand? think he thinks that when they repair the dura the flow should improve but Im not convinced xx

Carla Jo Stone said:

Hi Denise,

I do have pseudo cerebri and intracranial hypertension. I had a VP shunt put in 6 mos after my decompression since the CSF was not flowing properly and pooling up. I have felt much better after the shunt was placed. I'm glad that you are getting something done in a few weeks, but I think I would call my doctor and see if you can get in sooner or if you need another blood patch. Your back pain could be from all the LPs or muscle spasms from not being able to lay in a relaxed position. I cannot lay on the back of my head either without feeling extreme pressure. Please call and get checked out:)

Hi Tracy,I too developed chemical meningitis after the decompression that lasted for 8 weeks,do you think that was caused by the csf leak that they failed to find? only found the leak in April this year and the decompression surgery was in November last year! My NS has admitted that he has never had this complication from leaving the dura open after surgery and isnt convinced that the meningocele is causing low pressure headaches but after failed blood patches he is willing to repair the dura with a graft and close the dura this time and drain the collection of csf thats trapped.Iam convinced that the meningocele is the whole cause of my headaches.NS need to do more research into this,there isnt enough information on it,hence their delay in diagnosis xx

TracyZ said:

Actually we have had several Members that have had the same thing happen in the past few weeks. Two of them were children. I had a CSF leak that turned in Chemical Meningitis, but that was from Cranial Nerve Decompression Surgery. They used a cadavere's pericardium in my duraplasty. I didn't have any issues with my CM surgeries other than it was so extensive. I know you must be miserable. I am really sorry. Maybe you should call & tell your NS you can't wait until the 3rd. I don't see how you have made it this long.