Post op questions

Hi everyone.

I had my decompression and laminectomy surgery last thurs 14th March.

I came home mon.

I am sore but not too bad when im not moving.

When i have to get up, move around bend my head etc it hurts like hell, only very briefly but its enough to make me avoid moving!

The pain goes from my head (top) where its pounding, and sort of moves down my spine where ot settles on my lumbar area. Ive never had that pain before and im worried somethins wrong

Ive spoken to my GP ( who doesnt spedialise in neuro), and she asked me lots of questions like hows my balance, is there any numbness etc

Im sure its got to be something to do with the cfs fluid as it rounds all the way down the back as well as around the head. There no leaking (externaly that is) and im not getting any worse.

Im just worried and really dont want to have to go back into hospital.

Also my neurologise said the Val Salva headaches usually disapear almost immeadiately, but they are definatly still there.

Can anyone whos had the surgery help please?

Thanks so much.

Claire

Yes I think this is normal. I had bad headaches for the first two weeks. Try to be patient, it will get better. You will begin to notice that you don’t need to take as many pain meds as time goes by.

Hi Claire!! So glad the surgery went well...What you are experiencing is what I experienced after my surgery. I had to remind myself that that particular part of the body has been through so much with the surgery & starting to heal, it's kinda mad at you!! Hang in there & REST as much as possible!! I did the complete opposite & was trying to do things wayyy before I should have!!! If you are concerned with it, don't hesitate to call your NS, that's what they are there for!! Better safe than sorry!! Good luck on the rest of your recovery!!

Hi everyone, thank you for your replys.

after i posted my initial concerns i got MUCH worse.

My headaches worsened to my usual headaches but the way they were at there worst, but they were ALL the time. And severe vomiting. I passed out vomiting a few times due to pain.

I was absolutely adamant that i wasnt going back to hospital, but had regular talks with drs over the phone when i could speak, and my house-mate spoke to them regularly as he was so worried about me.

This went on for 4 weeks and stopped exactly after 4 week. they said i had an internal CFS leak and meningitus.

Ive never been so ill and thought i was going to die.

Ive lost loads of weight (a bonus!) and am still weak but feel much better.

My neck has just started spasming which i know is normal but i expected it before now.

It was stupid of me not to go to hospitalm but im a nurse and we are the worst patients.

Claire

Lindy215 said:

Hi Claire!! So glad the surgery went well...What you are experiencing is what I experienced after my surgery. I had to remind myself that that particular part of the body has been through so much with the surgery & starting to heal, it's kinda mad at you!! Hang in there & REST as much as possible!! I did the complete opposite & was trying to do things wayyy before I should have!!! If you are concerned with it, don't hesitate to call your NS, that's what they are there for!! Better safe than sorry!! Good luck on the rest of your recovery!!